• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nissan in Alpine

Ktapply

Donation Time
Bashby's alpine is frigging AWESOME!

Thank you Bill for hosting Rich and me this afternoon, and my hat is off to you on the terrific work you have done on your car. I couldn't have been more impressed and motivated after seeing your work. I consider myself very lucky to live so close to you and to be able to see your car first hand. Everything is done to perfection. You have not missed a single detail. And let me be the one to exclaim.. This thing is unbelievably fast. It's a true Porsche hunter..... The four link system makes a huge difference and that Nissan power plant is incredible.

Again, you have outdone any other Alpine I have seen, you should be very very proud of that car. Great Car!

bashby

Donation Time
Out for a drive today, 6,300 miles on motor, decided to make some 30-70 and 30-80mph runs in 3rd gear (30mph is 2500RPM, 80 is 6500RPM). I got the same result 3-times, 30-70mph at 7.06 seconds and 30-80mph at 8.11 seconds. I do not come on full boost until 3500 RPM.

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
Went and had the car 4-point weighed today.
The rear has 250#/in coil overs and a triangulated 4-link, the front is currently 450#/in springs and Spax shocks.
without driver, 14 gallons fuel: 2,510# F/R 1,193/1,317 47.5%/52.5%
LF: 607#
RF: 586#
LR: 637#
RR:680#
with driver, 14 gallons fuel: 2,686# F/R 1,256/1,430 46.8%/53.2% with 48.3% cross-weight
LF: 668#
RF: 588#
LR: 709#
RR: 721#

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
I have all of the pieces/parts for the front coil over shock conversion for my Series V in my possession. I hope to have this welded and installed within the next 2-weeks. The photo shows all of the parts for one-side, Eibach (0700.250.0550) springs, QA1 DS301 shocks and bearings (7888-109), laser-cut brackets, aircraft and the grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers.

Attachments

• IMG_5187-s.jpg
    IMG_5187-s.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Coil over

Bill,

Are you going to cut the top out of the crossmember(shock tower) and
likewise the lower control arm,we mounted the shocks below the control arm on a coil over deal some time ago,to get enough travel, just curious.

Joel

bashby

Donation Time
Joel, I am cutting out the lower spring perch in the A-arm and adding the coil over mount. The shock tower is going to be removed and modified for the coil over mount.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, a beautiful car well done.

Got a question about the radiator fans. Are they switched for simultaneous operation or are they staged? Wondering how best to do it, especially as a fan must run for the AC.

Bill

bashby

Donation Time
Bill, thank you. The fans can be set up either way, so that one is on all of the time and the other only as temperature requires it or, that both come on when engine temperature requires it-the thresholds are adjustable. The fans and controller are by Spal.

socorob

Donation Time
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

Bill, here is a dual fan controller setup that I just got for my other car to control 2 speeds. It can be done with junk yard parts. I paid under $75 and got 2 fans(which you would probably need a different fan to fit), 2 Volvo controllers, a relay bar from a Cutlass Ciera with about 4 or 5 relays on it and 2 maxi fuses, and 3 or 4 BMW temp sensors. I haven't installed it all yet, but you could make it control 2 fans instead of a single 2 speed fan, if you have 2 size fans, a large and a small, only one can be on at a time with this. You can get those dual temp sensors in a few different temp ranges from rock auto, etc. The fan controllers are in a few more years and model of Volvo's listed, so if you get it out of a v70 (I think that's what it was, I have it written down at home) they come with maxi fuses already on them. Also the temp sensors are in a lot more BMW's then they have listed.

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
Am in process of installing the front coil overs on my SV, weighed the hub assembly (hub, and Wilwood brake assembly (11" rotor, 4-pot caliper and brackets)) it weighs 30.6#. Combined with the Minilite 15x6 wheel and 195/50-15 tire, I end up with 65.6#; I guestimated my un-sprung weight to be 70#

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
Mike, Chuck Thank you it has been an interesting(?) and expen$ive 5-years.
I have installed the coil over front suspension; I had a couple of workable issues with the brackets but nothing a die grinder could not take care of. I will post more once I have taken her for a drive but, I already have noticed that the suspension does not "groan" when lifting or settling:)

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
Oh does she drive nice! Between the 4-link with coil overs in the rear and the coil overs in the front she really (IMHO) does drive and ride nice. Quite a difference and well worth the cost and effort.

bashby

Donation Time
Had a problem with the TurboXS BOV (not unusual) that I had on the car, leaking pressure and vacuum and making concerning noises. I spaced the spring (for more pressure), greased the metal-on-metal valve and then decided to replace it with a HKS Super SQV IV which is a push-pull and has O-rings. It holds :) is quiet and functions properly!
Considering driving up Trail Ridge Road which is paved at 12,183'asl; this would probably be the highest an Alpine has ever been driven.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Had a problem with the TurboXS BOV (mot unusual) that I had on the car, leaking pressure and vacuum and making concerning noises. I spaced the spring (for more pressure), greased the metal-on-metal valve and then decided to replace it with a HKS Super SQV IV which is a push-pull and has O-rings. It holds :) is quiet and functions properly!
Considering driving up Trail Ridge Road which is paved at 12,183'asl; this would probably be the highest an Alpine has ever been driven.

You can drive to Mount Evans too. 14,215 in the parking lot IIRC.

bashby

Donation Time
I knew of Mt. Evans and had forgotten about it...will need to drive there too. Did a pre-dawn (left at 0300hrs.) run up Trail Ridge Road from Broomfield, no one on the road (only elk) until I got to Granby (US36-US34), breakfast then home.

Attachments

• IMG_5249c.jpg
    IMG_5249c.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, could you tell us (maybe again? couldn't find any info on them in a quick search) about your top. Very interesting!

By the way, your car is absolutely great. Makes mine look like a junkyard special, which I suppose, it is.

Bill