• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nissan in Alpine

bashby

Donation Time
The car is ready for primer! In shock as to the cost of the body work at this point and the amount of work necessary to get the areas that were damaged repaired and correct is staggering. The amount of filler is minimal with the thickest being ~0.05" in the left front fender/intake area. I have posted some additional photos in the the usual place at http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/573533795qiTiQI

kmathis

Donation Time
Very nice work; and I like those louvers in your hood, I have been trying to find someone local that will do louvers in my hood and that is not easy to find.
Also, what can you tell me about your roll bar? and where can I get one? That is real nice.
What did you have to do to get those Wilwood Calipers and Rotors to work on the stock front end; I like that too.

Alright, enough questions.

Body work is next for me.

bashby

Donation Time
Thank you, the louvers were done by "The Tin Element" in Loveland, CO. The roll bar is custom, my design initially based on a "Boss Frog" roll bar design for a Mazda Miata. It is mandrel bent 1.75" diameter, 0.120" wall and TIG welded; as I do not own a mandrel bender or have the ability to TIG weld it was made locally by Aaron Dusenbury (Brighton, CO). The 12" Rotors and calipers were from Dales Resto, had to put a 3/16" spacer for the calipers to clear the 15x6 Minilites (other wheels may not need this) otherwise they bolted right up. I had a set of Wilwood 11" Rotors with 4-pot calipers (no spacers necessary) which were made for the Alpine (by Procraft) which were never removed from the box much less mounted on a car (long story) and sold to a SAOCA member.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

Nice!

Bet you were an Eagle Scout at one time... Never seen someone mount a floor jack in a car but it sure makes sense.... Another forum I sign on to has a poll as to how many still keep a slare tire in their cars considering roadside assistance, modern tires etc. (FYI Most are saying Yup-Keep the spare) You've taken it the next step and, since it looks like an aluminum light weight ones, great idea.....

bashby

Donation Time
Thanks, no not an Eagle Scout but someone who has a dislike for bumper jacks and the like. Figured it is aluminum, it will fit so, why not.

bashby

Donation Time
Nick, Thank you it has been a 3-year going on 4-year project.

Concerned that getting the car on a Jerrcan Tow Truck will result in damage to the valance area. Taking a piece of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2"x1/4" steel angle bolting it to the 2-front bumper nuts, and with 2-3000# rated eyes thus getting the winch cable out of the way of the valance. Comments / Suggestions ?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

A good tow truck/roll back bed guy will know how to avoid damaging the car but for grins, start collecting 4x4's. About 18" long and roll the car on to them. Most wreckers will have them already on board.

When mine got towed a few weeks ago the guy took his time and we got it right. Took us about 15 minutes to get it on board but no damage. My garage is up hill from the street and it was an almost a level off load.

bashby

Donation Time
Received my new radiator today, cannot confirm (yet) that it is functional but I can say that Wizard Cooling makes a very nice looking all aluminum radiator for a reasonable price.

bashby

Donation Time
Bill-The 4-primaries are 1-5/8" diameter, going into a 2-1/2" diameter through the frame rail then split to two 2-1/4" exhaust pipes.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not so huge. How did you determine the diameter? I Googled and all I could determine for certain is that 1 5/8" is a popular size for the 2.3 Turbo Ford. That indicates to me that 1 1/2" would be more appropriate for a 1.8.

Bill

bashby

Donation Time
Bill-I wanted good flow into the turbo, 1-5/8 is what was used on many big blocks (I know little correlation but a data point), close to what the quality CA18DET manifolds are and, the shop already had the 1-5/8" mandrel.
BTW the body is in color! With the Dupont 72400 clearcoat, once cut and buffed it should look good.

bashby

Donation Time
Well, the body is in color, currently being cut-n-buffed (800/1500/3000 grit). Here are 2-photos when she came out of the paint booth.

bashby

Donation Time
Back in the garage, have posted some photos on Webshots the paint is incredible. The photos do not do it justice as I had not wiped the car down before I took them.
She will be running and on the dyno-no boost limited 3500 RPM redline on Saturday night.
This will not happen as the new radiator just does not quite fit, hopefully Wizard will do a quick-turn and I will only lose a week.

bashby

Donation Time
Dyno day

Well, without the turbo, with a 3500 RPM redline, new motor I have 60 HP and 79 lb-ft; after 1k miles it will be 12-15 psi with 8000 RPM and I am looking forward to it!
Posted a video running on the dyno. Drove 130 miles this evening no glitches or leaks!
Harvey at "The Boost Creep Ltd" is very good.