• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NHRA National Record

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
Not sure where to post this but I thought I'd share what we've been doing with one of our Alpines.

'62 Sunbeam Alpine Mission, BC
F/A 8.13 E.T. 168.13 MPH 06/03/17 Lucky Snyder - Longmont, CO

Gina Snyder
Colorado

Attachments

• SPZ_7042a.jpg
    SPZ_7042a.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 131

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Congrats on your performance and record.
Makes the Alpine look good also.

BTW, what are the engine specs?

Last edited:

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
It's a SB Chevy 287 c.i. naturally aspirated. My husband built the car himself with some help from me. It's a stock steel '62 Alpine body from the firewall back. We made a fiberglass mold from another stock Alpine for the front end.

It was a lifetime dream come true to set and hold a national record. He's 2002 NHRA Div. 5 champion in the same car.

Gina

Attachments

• Mission.jpg
    Mission.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 87

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike-
No. We use racing gasoline with carburetors (2). It is a clutch car with a 5 speed air shifted transmission.

F/A(ltered) is a sub-class within the NHRA Competition Eliminator class. In our case the car must, among other things weigh a minimum of 2435# with driver. An F/A is 8.5#/c.i.

http://www.dragzine.com/features/ca...ing-class-racing-nhra-competition-eliminator/
(Rules have changed a bit since this article, but you'll get the idea.)

Keep in mind that just my husband and I run the car by ourselves. No crew or outside sponsors. We don't even get contingency money for products we use, because we don't/can't buy new stuff often enough.
Gina

Alfred Pine

Silver Level Sponsor
Holy Cow

Hey Gina,

Huge congrats on the win. If you ever are standing around wishing that someone nosy would stop by to look at the car, the shop and ask a bunch of questions...let me know!!!

P.S. - I live in west Loveland, only minutes away

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tigereater (Gina), Makes me proud of you and your husband for standing alone in your Project Alpine:D

Proves beyond a shadow what we can do with will power and determination.

Keep'em-on-the-road (er Track);)

DanR

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the kind remarks. My husband doesn't open his shop to the public. It's his private domain like my sewing studio is mine. I don't invite people in his space and he doesn't invite people in mine. lol
Gina

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Gina, thanks for keeping the Ladies in racing. I come from a home with 2 older sisters, a Mom who was one of 7 sisters (I had aunts all over Texas), my wife of 52 years is one of 5 sisters, she gave me a daughter who gave me 2 granddaughters. Anyone who says you women are the weaker sex never lived with as many females as I did...do!

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
WOW.

Just curious, I know the supension isn't stock, but how to you hold a stock bodied Alpine on the ground at 170 mph. If my Alpine was capable of 120 mph, I'd be afraid of ending up in orbit.

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
The stock Sunbeam Alpine is a stable body. There is a rear spoiler (between the fins) and a front air dam to "spoil" the air and help keep the car on the track. Also, a wheelie bar that helps keep the load on the back tires and counter balance any excess lift in the front.