• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newbie Needs Advice

plaske

Donation Time
Hello all! I'm new, or more accurately, re-new to this site. I have a '65 Series V that has sat in my garage for about 10 years now. The car is actually pretty decent except that it does not run. It probably is pretty easy to get the engine running, as it has started about a dozen times in the time that I've had the car, just not the last time I tried. The real problem is that the clutch is frozen. I've replaced both clutch cylinders but it didn't help. And the whole car needs to be gone over because it has sat so long. Brakes, fuel system, etc. all needs to get into shape.

Well, it's time that I get this car out and running - and I'm looking for some help in doing so. I've decided that I wouldn't go the complete restore route until I've had a couple of years of light but continual use of the car. So, I want to find an expert at Alpines that would welcome the job of getting my car to a good usable state.

Do you have any advice for me? What is the best way for me to find someone that is qualified, reasonable cost-wise, and does good work? How much would I expect to spend?

I have mostly questions at this point. I'm sure anything you want to tell me would be helpful.

Thanks for a response!

Patrick

P.S. I live in Milwaukee, WI - I'm looking for something closer rather than farther.

wipeout

Donation Time
Hi Plaske,

I'm new here as well, but what will help you and help others is to do a bit of "looking" on your own before you post questions. Use the "Search" buttons up above and type in key words to your questions. This may get you quicker responces than waiting for others to see your requests.

If you don't find what you're looking for, then find the correct thread catagory to your question and post up. Be sure to tick your email notification in your User set up and check back in on a regular basis.

This forum has all the experts you need. And lucky for us they're not charging any money to relate to us.

;)

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
This method of freeing a clutch usually works me. Get the engine up to running temperature, depress the clutch pedal, and rev the engine to about 4,000 RPM and hold it there for about 20 seconds. If unsuccessful, repeat at higher revs or for a longer time. Clutch assemblies are seldom truly balanced and the centrifugal force generated will free the plates.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The method I have used is similar to Tony's. I start the car in neutral, let it warm up, shut it off, immediately put it in first and turn the key again. The starter will pull the car forward, so make certain you have room in front of you, and the clutch will unstick from the flywheel. This sounds a bit more jarring than Tony's method, so I'd give his a try first.