• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newbe, with SIII in great condition

jbiii52111

Donation Time
Hi All, first timer here. I have SIII in really good shape and wish to keep it stock. Ive cranked the engine & have ok compression, but need to adjust valves and can only find SV settings; Intake=0.012, Ex=0.014in, will this be the same for my SIII?

Also when cranking via battery the Hydrolic clutch line heats up really hot, where in the heck should I start looking for cause? Could the reverse light wire in Tranny be shorted? :confused:

jbiii
B9204370

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Well, I'll start by saying I don't own a Series III, but I think all the Alpines are supposed to have a ground strap running from the engine block to the chassis. I would bet that your strap is either corroded, loose or missing and the engine is trying to ground through the clutch line. It should be a simple fix but it is a problem that one does need to take care of.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum,

jbiii52111

Donation Time
Thank you Andy, could not find any grounding strap anywhere, so made quick link between head & frame. Does not heat up as much and I get better cranking. I will install perm strap to block and frame in better location and see if the heating of the clutch line goes away. Do you happen to know where the factory locations are?

jbiii52111

Donation Time
Andy, never mind, found it, just getting used to being a member i guess.

Found in other thred;
"Good suggestions from Ken. But note that the "ground cable between the engine block and the chassis" is actually located at the tranny rear cross support. It's a short heavy braided cable and should be well connnected at both ends- one end to a chassis bolt and one end to the tranny mount bolt."

jbiii

jbiii52111

Donation Time
Taking longer than thought

Thank you for pic, I got very close with what I did lonmg time ago, now finding many things to work on;
throttle linkage
cooling system
fuel system
brakes

Nickodell

Donation Time
The intake and exhaust settings are the same for series 3.

Steve: I know what you meant - the valve lash (or in Britspeak: tappet) settings are the same for the SIII as the SV, but someone unfamiliar with 'beams might think you meant to set both intake and exhaust to the same clearance, rather than In: 0.012" & Ex: 0.014"

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Do yourself a favor and run the ground from the block/bell housing bolt to the firewall. Make sure all contacts are metal to metal and clean of paint, grease, corrosion and anything else.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
and make sure it's a large gauge wire or strap- as big as the cable that goes to the starter.

Tom

jbiii52111

Donation Time
Hi Guy's,

Used a large cable, Battery cable from Napa. I would love to adjust the valves, but have found leak in thermostat housing, yes the one part that connects to head, not cover. And those two studs going all the way through are stuckkkkk.

I read through a lot of Posts, and ran across couple of guy's that have done it, and used the quote feature to request thier help, not response yet, or I can't find it again.

SerIIapline, would it hurt to add this ground? Did you find making the/a ground connection here gave better results?

Thanks in advance,

jbiiii