• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Wire Wheels?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Years ago, I bought a new set of Sprite wire wheels. They were brand new. Unfortunately, my hubs were not new. So, over the years, I had that dreaded "clunk" no matter how much I tightened them. At some point, I came across a new set of SV wire wheel hubs. I just installed them when I replaced the rear bearings. But, I'd hate now for the bad hubs that ruined the new wheels, to have the ruined new wheels ruin the new hubs.

So, I guess my first question is whether it is the hubs or wheels or both that go? That is, is it possible that my wheels may actually still be ok?

My second question is about the knock off Minilights. I remember Ian used to have them. If I try to find any, are there any hints on the right ones? Or are they unobtainium at this point? I'd like to find another pair of Sprite wire wheels. But, I'm thinking they are not going to be $60 each like they were when I bought them in 1989!

skywords

Donation Time
Clean the wheels and inspect the splines for wear. My guess would be they are worn as well. When in doubt change em out. don't forget the grease.

mikephillips

Donation Time
What you always have to remember is that the splines push against each other. When both the hub and wheel are new the pressure is fairly even across the spline, and as the deform with age that stays the same since they're wearing together as a set. If one or the other is replaced then the pressure on the splines becomes localized since they now don't meet across the entire surface area. This causes the both components to waer faster than they should until the reach a point where the new wear patterns match, or failure occurs. So you should always replace in wheel/hub pairs. However, if you've put few miles on them they might still be usable. Check the splines in the wheel, they should look like the hub splines with equal length sides and a dull, not sharp, top.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Wire wheels

Clean the wheels and inspect the splines for wear. My guess would be they are worn as well. When in doubt change em out. don't forget the grease.

Grease? Do you put grease on the splines?

I used to put Never Seez, or an anti sieze compound on the splines and the hub to hub fit. But I found the wheels tended to loosen up after a few hundred miles. Not good in my book especially if you have many good mountain curves to go on.

I have never put any thing on mine in 10 years, just yearly remove and inspect, wire brush the splines to clean off any stuff.
Apply about 10 drops of Marvel Mystry Oil to the threads and run the knock offs on and off, then wipe clean the threads and re-install the wheels.
No problems.. I did just post a note on the polishing of the hubs as I had the wheels all off for brake, tie rod ends and other misc stuff.
Chuck

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just looked and looked, with a flashlight and even a magnifying glass. On the old hubs, I can see that the tops of the splines are points, and on the new hubs, they are rounded. But, I don't see that one side is shorter than another. And I can't see that the insides of the wheels are rounded, flat or pointed, or that one side is shorter than another.

Ian, you out there? Any thoughts on the Minilight knock offs?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Never mind on the Minilights. While I thought they looked so fantastic on Ian's Harrington, my kids think they won't look right on my SV, and I think they are probably right.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The fact that the splines have points, and if you run a finger across probably feel sharp, means there's noticeable wear. That means that the distance between the sides of the splines has opened up slightly so that the wheels will no longer be a snug fit, there will always be a bit of play. So I wouldn't put new wheels on those hubs they will wear out quicker than they should.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Yep. I actually replaced the pointy hubs with new ones. I was just commenting that I can definitely see that the old ones are bad. It's the hubs on the wheels that I just can't tell.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Thanks. I have the wheels back on with the new hubs and no clunking so far. So, I'm thinking they probably are good.

But, I really do appreciate the link. Maybe ...