• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

new sunbeam alpine owner

ringmaster2000

Donation Time
good morning, i have a 1967 series 5 alpine in my driveway. it has been sitting 20+ years. the engine is frozen up, i have added marvel mystery oil to the cylinders to see if i can free it up, but no go so far. i have had many british cars (Triumph TR2, a tr4, several mgb's, and a Triumph herald) but this is my first sunbeam. So big question , is it worthwhile to spend the time and money to get the engine fixed, or is it better to just drop in a late model (respectively) of a toyota or mazda 4 twin cam motor????????? Thanks for your time.

1967 Sunbeam Alpine, orginally red, now tan, with original removeable hard top. unfortuneatly it has old ansen aluminum wheels with old red line tires. so no orginal wheels or wires included. missing a passenger seat.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
good morning, i have a 1967 series 5 alpine in my driveway. it has been sitting 20+ years. the engine is frozen up, i have added marvel mystery oil to the cylinders to see if i can free it up, but no go so far. i have had many british cars (Triumph TR2, a tr4, several mgb's, and a Triumph herald) but this is my first sunbeam. So big question , is it worthwhile to spend the time and money to get the engine fixed, or is it better to just drop in a late model (respectively) of a toyota or mazda 4 twin cam motor????????? Thanks for your time.

First, welcome to Sunbeam ownership - you've come to the right place to get information and lots of help.

You ask a very subjective question to which I will give a very subjective answer - yes, in my opinion it's worth keeping the Sunbeam motor and fixing it up vs. the immense time and money it would take to engineer a transplant.
The 1725cc motor is more than adequate and you will preserve the car's original balance and handling. Don't buy a Sunbeam for scary speed or acceleration - in stock form it will not go as fast as a TR or MG but is certainly better built and far more unique than those dime a dozen BMC products. :)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
RM2000

Welcome to our happy corner of the internet. I wouldn't think of countering Scott ( :D ) but it might depend on the overall shape of your car. If it's real close to being a nice example of the Marque you might go that way. If it has a way to go, you might visit the Modified section of this forum and chat with members who have used the kit that's available. Engineering is done and it's a pretty cool conversion. (Sorry Scott-I'm under the evil influence of The Dark Side.)

Either way, this is the place to work with. I couldn't keep my car on the road without the membership here.

ringmaster2000

Donation Time
alpine

the car is remarkably rust free, and no dents or damage to speak of. The issues will be free'ing up nuts and bolts from sitting so long (in a garage). So i think i going to have to pull the motor soon and go thru it. the hardest part will be going thru the carbs that have sat for 20 years. a couple hours in carb cleaner, and a new set of gaskets and needle/seats and they should be right as reign.

wierd thing is the trunk held a old sunbeam air cleaner, but not from an alpine. can i post images for someone to help me identify it????

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ring, Welcome. You will find lots of help here.

But you should put this thread in the "Stock" section , OR if you DO decide to change motors, then put it in the "Modified" section. The "Factory original" section is really about tryng to maintain an Alpine as close as possible to how it came from the factory. Lots of focus on those little bittty details. Your car is already out of that category by way of non-factory paint!

Tom

AlsPine

Donation Time
If you go through the engine, there are some mods you should make.
I don't have the link to the recommended mods, but here are 2 that should be done.
1. Groove the center main journal on the crank the width of the groove in the bearing shell groove and approximately .060 inch deep.

2. Drill the oil passage from the main oil galley to the center main all the way with a 21/64 inch drill bit.

There are other mods also.
Perhaps someone on the forum can post the link.
Check the parts forum for seats or anything else that you need.
Ebay is another good source for parts. Seats come up there every so often.

Sunbeam Specialties will have about everything you need to restore it.
Give Rick a call at 408-371-1642, and he will send you a catalog.
You can also go on line at http://www.rootes.com/ and view it on line.
I like the paper catalog as I can highlight everything that I bought to keep track.

Have fun with your project.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The real answer to your question depends on what you want of your Alpine.

If you decide on a do it yourself engine swap, be advised the Alpine is a difficult car to swap engines. The engine compartment is very cramped and the steering apparatus presents problems that are pretty unique. Having said that, there are several Alpines on the road with swapped engines, but probably fewer than 10% of the swaps are ever completed. That does not include Jose's V6 kit. I would guess that perhaps 90% or more of those are finished by original purchaser.

Something to keep in mind while making the swap/rebuild decision is the rest of the Alpine drive train. The factory transmission is a 4 speed, sometimes purchased with overdrive. The factory rear gear ratios were 3.89 and 4.22. In straight 4th, this makes for a very buzzy high speed ride. Not a problem if you are not contemplating longish trips. The Alpine overdrive is not really a solution for most owners. Over time, they have proven to be fragile, most have met their maker. If you can find one in good condition, they are pricey. The Alpine rear ratios work very well with most modern 5 speeds and it is possible to mate a 5 speed to the Alpine engine, but the cost is about the same as OD. The difference being the 5 speed is more rugged and available.

If you want to swap an engine because you enjoy the challenge, the Alpine is an excellent candidate. There are several here that have either done swaps or are very close to completion. I'm sure they will be very glad to discuss "issues" with you. Please do not start a swap without a public airing of your intentions. There are just too many pitfalls for the person that has no Alpine experience.

Bill