• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Stainless Bumpers

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep, that's the guys over in Viet Nam that also make the BMW Isetta replicas, and bumpers for many other limited-production cars. I'd love to see a set, but mine are pretty nice so I'm not a customer.

alpine_64

Donation Time
They look great... but in the pics i dont the see the holes for the bolts to pass through on the sides..??

64beam

Donation Time
They look great... but in the pics i dont the see the holes for the bolts to pass through on the sides..??

Hi Michael,

They may have spot welded some studs on the inside which makes a lot more sense. No more ugly bolt heads.

Regards, Robin.

gordonra

Donation Time

If you look closely at the right side of the photos in the shadow of the bumper, you can see where light is shining through the hole.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
True enough. You can also see the holes on the left sides of the bumpers in this pic (dark hole in upper, light in lower):

13_600.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I see the holes now with a closer look. Really would be interesting to see the quality of these parts.. imagine getting some boot hinges done in stainless, or the B post caps, door dovetails and other bits that have wear and the finish takes a beating.

steven

Donation Time
The eternal optomist, I will wait with eager anticipation for good stainless for replacement of pitted chrome, at a reasonable price. My 5GT rests on a beautiful set of stainless/chrome wire wheels that only cost a couple of grand.:D
Cheers

dmich2

Donation Time
OK. Any thoughts folks? I emailed the seller about shipping, metal thickness, etc and they replied. My concern......seller advises he can offer the best price if I purchase the bumpers without going through eBay. At the top of the page is a huge disclaimer from eBay warning of buying w/o going through them and goes on to list numerous scams, fraud attempts etc., and how they cannot protect the buyer.

As they say, if it looks to good to be true......:confused:

I'd really like to have a set, but worry about losing $800.00. Has anyone dealt with this outfit, and can confirm they are legit?

Thanks,
Dennis

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I cannot say I've dealt with them, but they are a legitimate operation and have been around for several years now. You might want to check on other forums where they've supplied products - they supply to a number of out-of-production cars and I'd imagine quite a few folks over there have purchased from them, since there are simply no other supplies of these products for their cars.

Here's their website, and in particular the makes for which they manufacture brightwork:

http://www.groupharrington.com/shine/

In particular, you might ask on the BMW Isetta & VW forums, since they've been making that stuff for the longest time, I think.

Suggestions:
http://www.clubbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

http://www.microcar.org/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=101

http://www.vintagevwcars.com/phpBB/

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f18/

dmich2

Donation Time
I'm thinking very seriously about it. Taxes, and payments....:mad:, go in today. After re-evealuating the cash, I'll make a decision in a few days.

Dennis

bobw

Donation Time
OK. Any thoughts folks? I emailed the seller about shipping, metal thickness, etc and they replied. My concern......seller advises he can offer the best price if I purchase the bumpers without going through eBay. At the top of the page is a huge disclaimer from eBay warning of buying w/o going through them and goes on to list numerous scams, fraud attempts etc., and how they cannot protect the buyer.

As they say, if it looks to good to be true......:confused:

I'd really like to have a set, but worry about losing $800.00. Has anyone dealt with this outfit, and can confirm they are legit?

Thanks,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

I think ebay mainly doesn't want to loose their commission. Your best bet is to pay with a credit card (_not_ a debit card).

I recently had a problem with a more or less legitimate company that promised delivery then delayed it several times after charging my card. I went through the claim process with my card company and would have gotten my money back. In this case, I got delivery of the product shortly after making the claim. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Be sure to make the claim before the time limit expires which I think is 60 days after the charge is made. My card is issued through a credit union and they are a little more lenient, but they did say some of the card issuers won't deal with it after the time limit.

Bob W.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bumpers

I emailed them and got the same offer. Worked out about $40 bucks less going direct. As far as E-Bay looking out for me, they weren't much help when I had a problem with a vendor so I wouldn't put to much value on their warning.

dmich2

Donation Time
Gentlemen, and ladies. I bit the bullet and orders these new bumpers. Well let me tell you, I made the order Monday May 4 and Fedex just dropped them off !!!!!!!!!!:D 5 days !!!!!! They look great. I do think I see some subtle differences, but I had to get on here and advise of the positive experience, so far. I hope to mount at least the front one today. If I can, I'll post a photo of my original bumper and then the new stainless installed in it's place. Woooohooo.

Dennis

65beam

Donation Time
bumpers

did the over riders come with them ? you mentioned differences . what did you find ?

dmich2

Donation Time
They came with overriders and rubbers. I asked the seller about that prior to ordering. I also inquired about metal thickness and was advised they were slightly less gauge, but being stainless steel, it was ok. :rolleyes: They are lighter, thus I guess thinner. I weighed an original and it came in around 9 -9.5 lbs and the new ones were a tad over 7. Also, the outmost hole was not squared for the bumper bolts, but a 6" 3 sided file fixed both holes in about 5 minutes. The only plus of the thinner steel. They have a very nice finish on top with the underside painted a mat black. Don't think they would be a choice for a concourse car, but so far, so good. I'm willing to bet the stainless steel produced in Viet Nam, yes folks, that's where they are made, is not of the quality of US or Europe. Just getting ready to bolt the front one on.

More to come.

Dennis

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
They seem very 'bright'... are they more shiny than a standard bumper? I guess what I'm saying is that chrome has a certain amount of gray in it that gives it a kind of 'depth' to the shine... whereas these seem from the pictures like the shine is all on the surface... can you evaluate the shine of these versus a nice piece of chrome?