1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

New Gauge Set

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by 260Alpine, Jan 11, 2020.

1. 260Alpine

260Alpine Silver Level Sponsor

PROCRAFT likes this.
  2. PROCRAFT

PROCRAFT Gold Level Sponsor

Good buy I reckon but there 3 3/8" bought the VTO stuff for 500 bucks delivered with all the senders and a hall sender for the gear box.y

Paul A likes this.
  3. 260Alpine

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. PROCRAFT

If your building your own dash, why not bore the right size hole?

Paul A likes this.
  5. 260Alpine

Joel, Redoing the wood dash. On the MGB I will cut out the gauge panel and build new.

6. PROCRAFT

Copy. Gotta go shoot the body once more.

7. loose_electron

loose_electron Gold Level Sponsor

Take a close look at what Speed Hut offers, you can even have them do custom dial faces inside the gauge.

8. 260Alpine

Jerry, Speedhut is great, but a little out of my budget at about three times the price.. Dolphin is popular with street rods and are good quality. Plus, I like the looks of these. This is their first try at GPS but their regular gauges are reliable.

loose_electron likes this.
  9. PROCRAFT

Jim, Speed Hut is out of most budgets, I used them in the Tiger the whole deal was 600 bucks delivered when I wanted to do it again it was a grand plus,right on par with classic who has the same stuff, I went with VTO as a result of the pricing, Everyone was selling this kit I got for maybe 150/200 bucks more that where I got them,people who I delt with before. And by the way I'm going to overlay the dash with ABS it'll match the door panels.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. 260Alpine

Joel, Great idea on the ABS dash. Going to be a unique build!

11. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane Gold Level Sponsor

Joel, when I google VTO gauge set I come up empty, can you provide a source?

12. Paul A

Paul A Alpine Registry Curator Platinum Level Sponsor

I think Joel means VDO I have used VDO gauges in several cars and they work very well - plus they have 4" tach and speedometer.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/ also available through Summit Racing www.summitracing.com/VDO

13. Barry

Barry Platinum Level Sponsor

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  14. Aladin Sane

I wondered if that may have been the case, but I didnt want to presume.

15. PROCRAFT

Sorry bud it should be VDO gotome from the first on Genoa Wi. I'll get you more info.

16. PROCRAFT

Vehicle Controls Genoa Wisconsin

17. PROCRAFT

Figured I had half a sheet left might as well use it.

18. Aladin Sane

Thanks Joel, I am thinking I could save myself a bunch of pain by not trying to get a set of 50 year old english gauges working. Not like I will be entering this thing in a concours.

19. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Diamond Level Sponsor

I installed VDO Visions gauges in 2007 (110,000 miles back) and am sorry to report all but the fuel gauge, tach and speedo have been replaced multiple times. I believe I am on the 3rd voltmeter, oil pressure and temp gauge. My faith in this brand lead to a lot of headache and expense.

If you buy them, understand they are very marginal and any deviation from normal should result in checking out the gauge, not the car.

Bill

20. Aladin Sane

Good to know, thanks Bill.