• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New engine Bearings source advice

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi All

I just got my second set of rod bearings from Victoria British and each time they came loos in a small box and had deep dings in the bearing surfaces..
This second set is a replacement for the first for free after i made a friendly complaint but just as badly damaged. I am going to try to get one good set out of the bunch but i am highly disappointing that even the second time around they do not inspect them...It seems that this company is again too large to care.

Im wondering if any of you know of a better source for engine parts..my confidence in Long Auto is shaken and i wont be buying from them again if i don't have to.
:confused:

happy motoring
Chaz

twospeed

Donation Time
Just dont buy new old stock,like on e-bay.I did and trust me these bearings dont have a forever shelf life they were so corroded .

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Just dont buy new old stock,like on e-bay.I did and trust me these bearings dont have a forever shelf life they were so corroded .

I have for the crank and they had been packed in wax paper really well and coated.and boxed well too....like new..

as they say your millage may very...

Cheers
Chaz;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I mentioned this in regards to another thread regarding NOS parts. Some parts are period returns or seconds that were not disposed of, some parts have not been stored correctly and are no longer to spec.. some are perfect.. it's buyer beware.. if they dont offer a return policy dont pay to highly.

Sunbeam specialties and classic sunbeam stock them, speedy spares in the UK and we have a few suppliers down here too.

Also IIRC a few years back Jan and Ian found when they checked the bearings they had received they were not all the same size... so do check!

tom o

Donation Time
i bought my bearings from Classic sunbeams. They were .010 in. under size.
They came in 3 days, were bright clean and smooth. I installed them, and checked the clearance with 'pasticgauge'. The bearing clearances were right on at .0015 to .002 in. clearance. I have not run the engine yet, but have confidence it will be good.
Tom

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
great advice.

Thanks TOM good to know

i was able to get one good set out of the bunch but they are not perfect..
I may just order another new batch from "classic sunbeams" as you suggested.

Cheers...

i bought my bearings from Classic sunbeams. They were .010 in. under size.
They came in 3 days, were bright clean and smooth. I installed them, and checked the clearance with 'pasticgauge'. The bearing clearances were right on at .0015 to .002 in. clearance. I have not run the engine yet, but have confidence it will be good.
Tom

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Engine rebuild done....

Just to report the engine is humming nicely all rebuilt.....some minor things need to be addressed but over all im real happy.... I have become Intimately found of this little motor.. and its surprisingly strong with my Toyota transmission swap.

Thanks for everyone's advice this forum has been Incredibly helpful..