• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New ebay listing for tool kit

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
$300 is a great offer for those tools. Selling on eBay at $350 you will have to pay fees to them and to PayPal as well. Redcat15-now is the time to pay up to join SAOCA as you are making money off of their website and members!

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Might be okay price for the guy(or gal) who is doing a full on restore and wants everything factory but those tools are really archaic .... I prefer my snap-ons in the trunk myself, though the jack,tire iron and hand crank do look nice in my SII. JMHO. Good luck to the seller.

..... David

Redcat15

Donation Time
$300 is a great offer for those tools. Selling on eBay at $350 you will have to pay fees to them and to PayPal as well. Redcat15-now is the time to pay up to join SAOCA as you are making money off of their website and members!

Please send me a link on how to "join", but give me some time to actually make some money. So far I haven't made a dime. In fact I won't make a dime. It will go toward an emergency.

I've never forgotten the day Dad's Midnight Blue IV came home. I remember buying my own white V. Driving it on S.F's Lombard Street on a Saturday Night or River Road with the top down on a Louisiana Spring day.

I've lost both legs in an accident. I can't imagine ever pushing in a hydraulic clutch or controlling the engine. But I haven't forgotten the joy of driving my Sunbeam every day for 15 years. When I can, I will "join."

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
And just for future reference, Sunbeams were available with automatic transmissions, too, and they show up from time to time. (Have to pry them away from the V6 guys though, since less sheetmetal work is required.) Standard setup on later cars included a power brake booster, which does work if used frequently and attended to. So standard adaptive controls would work there. Dan R. has apparently developed electric power steering, too.

On the other hand, a modern transmission with paddle shifters could be interesting, too...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Please send me a link on how to "join", but give me some time to actually make some money. So far I haven't made a dime. In fact I won't make a dime. It will go toward an emergency.

I've never forgotten the day Dad's Midnight Blue IV came home. I remember buying my own white V. Driving it on S.F's Lombard Street on a Saturday Night or River Road with the top down on a Louisiana Spring day.

I've lost both legs in an accident. I can't imagine ever pushing in a hydraulic clutch or controlling the engine. But I haven't forgotten the joy of driving my Sunbeam every day for 15 years. When I can, I will "join."

We had 2 members in australia ( one who used to post on here for a while) that dis not have use of their legs and had adapted their alpines to hand controls.

One was a siv auto woth updated BW40 trans and hand controls ( ex saoca poster based out of canberra)

And a member here who converted his sii alpine to hand controls. It can be done.

If you needed info we can try and help

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor

JMO, but this guy only signed on a few weeks ago so to suggest he financially contribute may be a bit unreasonable.

On the other hand, there are plenty of guys who have never tossed a nickle into the 'ole kitty. Some have multiple cars, peddle parts, have an apparent comfortable living and ask for tech help and offer their opinions on anything under the sun. I realize that some have circumstances that keep them from making a donation but c'mon, man!

Mark ..... volvgouys

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark, Not to make excuses, 65Sunbeam has been out of the country for a while during the time Redcat made the first post, just got back a day or so ago...

DanR

Redcat15

Donation Time
Promise I'll pitch in.

As to why I haven't put an automatic or hand controls in my V, I just haven't had the money. I've dreamed of it for years. Don't want to get all sad here, I take care of a special needs child on very little. I still have a happy life. I ride a bike with two prosthetics. I run on blades and am in training for a marathon. I do a lot of volunteer work with new amputees and adaptive sports in Baton Rouge. I'm working my way into a job helping veterans with the V.A.

I dreamed of rebuilding my Alpine, but never had the money. So I hope to find someone to give it a home. Monday or Tuesday I'll know how much I need to sell it for and I will keep it fair.

There is nothing I'd rather do then meet up with a bunch of Alpine owners on a Fall day and drive in the country. Maybe y'all will let me ride shotgun. And if I ever hit the lottery, I will buy the best Alpine I can and do a hand control on it.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Redcat .... I hope my comment didn't offend you as it was meant to point out that the tools are a great item to have but are a bit out of date for more then show or to complete ones car, I've seen them go for more then what your asking and in not as nice condition ... plus the 13% that goes to ebay/ paypal. I to have a disabled child and know first hand the monetary distress associated with the raising and care of a child with those needs. I can't speak for the club as I'm a fairly new member myself and couldn't contribute right away either because of more important obligations, but it is free to join so I don't think anyone can fault you for not doing so.

.... David

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You sure have your hands full doing all you are involved with.

Volunteer work, sharing your time and effort to help others is a real blessing to you and those you help.

People will watch you and stand in awe of your handicap.

I am proud of what you are doing, wish you were my neighbor;)

DanR

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Few

I don't think more than a few object to someone drifting in selling a collection then off into the maybe someday category. It's a moderators job to enforce rules popular or not. Me I spend more time than a any donation or dues would cover many fold dealing with problems on my home club board. Good luck with your parts sale and car sale. Even though we love some things they are still a disposable income commodity, if you have money to dispose of that is.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
JMO, but this guy only signed on a few weeks ago so to suggest he financially contribute may be a bit unreasonable.

On the other hand, there are plenty of guys who have never tossed a nickle into the 'ole kitty. Some have multiple cars, peddle parts, have an apparent comfortable living and ask for tech help and offer their opinions on anything under the sun. I realize that some have circumstances that keep them from making a donation but c'mon, man!

Mark ..... volvgouys

...... And then there are those with financial means who simply won't donate, believing its justified because of their involvement elsewhere. Perhaps the SAOCA officers should consider sending an annual stipend to the elite who's presence is far more valuable than a donation?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I made a donation a couple months ago, yet my avatar still says "donation time" (not a big deal). So don't take everything you see here as gospel. We are relying on volunteers donating their time - things get missed and delayed. As they say, "Just because you are reading it on the internet doesn't make it true!"

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Todd, Same with me on the TEAE..... I'm a paid member there too! But it shows as I'm not paid member. That is OK with me for now. It will eventually get updated.

THE SAOCA Board voted to make the dues come due at a single month to help with the distribution of our Calendars savings a bunch of Club money.

We here at the SAOCA are making every attempt to update our site to make things more advanced in keeping records better. Hopefully, all will be better soon.

DanR

65beam

Donation Time
THE SAOCA Board voted to make the dues come due at a single month to help with the distribution of our Calendars savings a bunch of Club money.

DanR[/QUOTE]

Dan,
What month are dues or a donation due? Will any notice be sent out or do members just take a guess as to when they need to send money? You can do all the work you think you need to do to update the site but without an organized plan nothing gets done. If you haven't noticed this club is an internet site only and only exists on an internet forum. If you haven't noticed there is no "board". Only a few guys that volunteer to be officers. TE/AE and CAT are clubs that are organized and have a way to operate. The last invasion on the east coast consisted of the TE/AE president and roughly 2/3rds of the attendees were regular TE/AE folks that travel all over for events. Think about that. In case you don't know , the founders of this club felt that Alpines didn't get enough attention from other clubs so they set this up. Where are those guys now? JARRS is right about what he said today.