• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Never forgive. Never forget.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Just keep telling yourself that.

We will until the conspiracy theorists come up with a legitimate answer to Nick's previously posted question, where is Flight 77 (the plane, crew and passengers)?

I've heard the theorist's answer of "Area 51"; please forgive me if I don't consider that a legitimate answer.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm not saying I believe this, but ran across a reference that claimed it and flight 93 were diverted to an western location, the passengers and crews killed and the aircraft destroyed. All by the CIA.

As for finding undamaged items, strange things happen all the time. Ever see the picture of the waterglass still sitting on the nightstand in one of the videos of the Titanic??

alpine_64

Donation Time
I might try and make this car.. and Sunbeam relevant... weird things survive in serious destruction..

read this about the original paperwork survivng an enclosed trialer fire of a tiger (link the the story is bellow the pic):

shaw05.jpg

http://www.classictiger.com/mudge/pieces/tech1p.htm

mrtoycrazy

Donation Time
I'm not saying I believe this, but ran across a reference that claimed it and flight 93 were diverted to an western location, the passengers and crews killed and the aircraft destroyed. All by the CIA.

As for finding undamaged items, strange things happen all the time. Ever see the picture of the waterglass still sitting on the nightstand in one of the videos of the Titanic??

They,The World Order, probably took them to Iron Mountain.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
With all due respect to all opinions and parties, this now thread belongs in the Rants section.

Nickodell

Donation Time
The towers calapsed because steel loses the majority of it's strength when heated to the temperature of burning kerosene so the structure where the fire was could no longer support the weight of the tower above it.
It's as simple as that.
Things like the fire protection on the beams is irrelevent as even if it was still intact, it wasn't designed to take that level of heat for that sort of duration and extent.

It wasn't the aircraft fuel that caused the collapses. This burned off in a few minutes, being vaporized when the planes hit. The intense, enduring fires that followed was caused by Class A combustibles: wood furnishings, drapes, carpets and other textiles, paper etc, ignited by the fuel.

Although the impact did blow off the sprayed-on fire retardant on the vertical structural beams, it was not these that failed. It was the much smaller transverse joists holding up the floors that weakened from the heat, pulled away from the verticals and began the progressive collapse. With the benefit of hindsight, the design had a fatal flaw as the vertical and horizontal beams were interdependent, in a kind of box structure. Nobody, when the building was designed in 1970, could have been expected to provide for the impact of a fuel-loaded jumbo jet.

Interestingly, there had been a prelude to this in a high-rise building, Ronan Point, London, England in the 60s, in a kind of reverse way. A gas leak on an upper floor caused an explosion that blew out the "curtain wall" on one side and the floor beams, now unsupported at the ends, collapsed and pancaked down all the floors, just as the WTC buildings did.

Nickodell

Donation Time
It always amazes/amuses me that people would complain about something - but keep reading it. If it "bothers" you, why not skip the thread?

Yes, this is primarily a forum for and about cars, but most of the correspondents have shown interest in a wide range of technical matters, which is why we discuss such things. It's rather like the model railroad club I belong to. At weekly meetings - along with discussions of the new Hornby live steam HO Gauge locomotives - conversations might turn to such things as "bloody weather! When's it going to stop raining?" or "how about those Phillies!" Nothing to do with model railroads.

Hey, cheer up. Since I grounded myself last year we don't bore the non-flyers with aircraft stuff.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Nick,

You guys cried and complained because you wanted to post things that most folks don´t want to have to even click on to turn off the light for. You got your own thread, but you still want to annoy us that don´t want to see the rest of the forum all cluttered up with your political trash.

Why don´t you use the section for that? Why do you want to foist this undesired stuff on us?

Jose

agmason

Donation Time
"1,583 architectural and engineering professionals want to know the truth. Deisel fires don't shear 96 vertical steel beams within a nano second causing a building to fall into it's own footprint. Only an idiot would believe that fairy tale. There is more to the story than they tell us. "

Who are these "1,583 architectural and engineering professionals" that claim they know better? I have never heard of one credentialed and credible professional architect or engineer give any creedence to the conspiracy theories.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Nick,

You guys cried and complained because you wanted to post things that most folks don´t want to have to even click on to turn off the light for. You got your own thread, but you still want to annoy us that don´t want to see the rest of the forum all cluttered up with your political trash.
Jose

Hmm. 1) A technical discussion about the cause of the WTC buildings' collapse is hardly "political," and 2) at last count, there were - count them - 646 reads of this thread, suggesting my dear Jose that your assertion above may be erroneous.

And I just notice that you posted a comment on this topic that so annoys you just an hour ago. :)

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Webmaster: Please move this thread to the "Politics...Manifestos" topic.

Why is it that Nick always seems to stir the pot?

Ed

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
That´s why It needs to be moved.

Jose

Hmm. 1) A technical discussion about the cause of the WTC buildings' collapse is hardly "political," and 2) at last count, there were - count them - 646 reads of this thread, suggesting my dear Jose that your assertion above may be erroneous.

And I just notice that you posted a comment on this topic that so annoys you just an hour ago. :)