• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Negative camber front assembly

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all.

I have been told that the best front axle to have for racing is one off a Series 5 as it allows the best negative camber adjustment. If this is true what year onwards had this type of front assembly?

I have been offered one from a 1966 Series 5 GT

Many thanks,

Oliver

thomson

Donation Time
front ends

You will get no more chamber on the late front ends ,in fact if you bushes and pins are in good condition you will get less flex and movement out of the early king pin set up than the latter rubber bushed type,you could put solid bushes in the late type but if your early type is tight and good condition keep it .What people may be thinking is the early type has an extra support on the top wish bone to the frame ,if you wield the upper posts which are riveted from new and keep an eye on them .You can do away with those supports ,but I like to keep them as I try to reduce flex in the front end to keep all angles fixed .I worked on one of the Lemans Tigers a few years ago ,and that body had the supports in it but were unused. Also I converted the early bottom front shock mounts to the late type to get rid of the shocks poking through the wish bone and make shock selection broader

alpine_64

Donation Time
.I worked on one of the Lemans Tigers a few years ago ,and that body had the supports in it but were unused.

Peter, Did the LM Tiger use any of the S3 front end? I believe the LM cars were based on S3's which were kingpin cars.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Two cents worth, I know that our cars have some age on them and that the front crossmember is not the best design. Case in point the crossmembers over the years tend to sag and flex, the Tiger is the worst but I have seen Alpines suffer too! Regardless of the suspison type I think you need sure that the crossmember is freshened up and reinforced, it makes a big differance.:eek:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robbie,

Since the V6 mounts so close to the frame rail, it doesn´t pose a serious problem to the crossmember, as far as it deforming because of the power the V6 generates.

Jose

Is there any write up on how to reinforce the crossmember?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
To add to my last post, You will know if there is a problem with the crossmember by looking at the upper folcrum pin rear nut, if it is against the wheel well and hard to get too the member has moved.:cool: Tigers seem to have this problem more than Alpines

thomson

Donation Time
negative camber

YOU know I cannot remember but I remember the supports jolted me as at that stage no one had published the fact they were series 3 based. as far as the cross member after measuring it to see if the top points have not moved in ,I cut a hole in the bottom near the inner wishbone mount insert a 1nch square bar up to the top of the shock tower then wield the bottom off the bar ,then wield up the hole ,then as the latter types have a plate on the bottom off the center of the member ,as my car runs 600 lb springs at the front

mikephillips

Donation Time
according to the specs in the works Tiger book the Lemans coupes used a mix of front end parts. Later crossmember and lower A arms and early uppers. I suspect that the uppers were for what may have been seen as a more robust upper ball joint mount and perhaps for clearance as I think it's slightly narrower.