• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

need speedometer rebuilt

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom does tachs not speedometers. Do a search on this forum-there are a few places that rebuilds them. Or take a chance and buy a used one.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom does tachs not speedometers. Do a search on this forum-there are a few places that rebuilds them. Or take a chance and buy a used one.
Someone I have used and had good success is Mike Mizrahi, previously with Nisonger. 914-536-1346;
21 Dogwood Ct., Golden Bridge NY 10526.
www.britishspeedo.com.
He also does other gauges, but not clocks
David

BACKYARD

Silver Level Sponsor
sent the speedo to Mike Mizrahi , now I drove it around the block and found the cable is not turning , it is a new cable so must be in trans , is this a common problem and is it a gear in the tail shaft ?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a gear in tail shaft to turn the center shaft in the speedo cable.

Are you sure the cable is good? Where did you get the cable? How much does the shaft extend from the connectors on each end?

I'd start by removing the speedo cable from the car, lay it out straight, turn the shaft on one end (counter clockwise is the normal rotation I believe) and verify the shaft on the other end turns.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a gear in tail shaft to turn the center shaft in the speedo cable.

Are you sure the cable is good? Where did you get the cable? How much does the shaft extend from the connectors on each end?

I'd start by removing the speedo cable from the car, lay it out straight, turn the shaft on one end (counter clockwise is the normal rotation I believe) and verify the shaft on the other end turns.
Is it reasonable to disconnect at the transmission only, and carefully chuck the center shaft into a drill, and turn counterclockwise, watching the speedo? This would clarify that the speedo end was engaging
properly, and that the speedo of course works. Would avoid the joy of reconnecting the speedo end of the cable.
Might also take a look at the driving pinion while you were there, to see if it is chewed up at all. The original post said the speedo needed to be rebuilt, perhaps if there was a failure there, it could cause failure elsewhere along the line, or vice versa.
David

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
sent the speedo to Mike Mizrahi , now I drove it around the block and found the cable is not turning , it is a new cable so must be in trans ,
The shaft is 'free floating' within the cable and can easily be pulled out completely. Perhaps the shaft just pulled out of the transmission when you removed the speedo? As I recall, less than a half inch or so sticks out when everything is in place. Do you have more than that showing? If so, you might be able to push it back in from there. If not, it has been a long time since I replaced one, but I think you could crawl under the car and unscrew the transmission end of the cable from the tranny and see if the shaft is still connected there.