• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need O.D. for Series 1 with Series 5 Trans.

Wally Luther

Silver Level Sponsor
Hello,
I'd love to buy an overdrive unit and all needed to for my Series 1 Alpine that has a series 5 fully sychro trans. I've had this car since 1978 and I'm currently in process of rebuilding the engine and plan to have it back on the road by the end of June.
Thanks,
Wally Luther

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You may already know all this so bear with me...

You can only mount an overdrive unit on an overdrive specific gearbox.
The main shafts are different. If you have a standard SV transmission, you cannot simply mount the OD unit on it...

The next problem you would face if you understand the above statement is that the SV OD specific gearbox uses a different OD adapter than a SI-early SIV.
You therefore must use an SV specific OD adapter case with the SV OD gearbox.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wally,
I have a Series II OD unit in my basement that I have been saving for the right project, but plans have changed. This unit came out of a running car that the owners were having a shop put in a complete 1725 setup without OD. They were due for an engine rebuild and I don't think they knew the value of keeping the OD, they just wanted a new engine.
I'm not going to say this unit does not need to be gone through, because I was certainly going to do it before putting it into any car. But I just don't know.

I would be willing to let it go for a fair price, and I can build a crate to ship. PM me if you are interested.

Paul

Wally Luther

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks P. and RR for the info.
Sounds like I should look into this some more before jumping. I appreciate both responses.
Thanks again,
Wally

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Wally, the jump you should make is to Paul's basement. ODs don't show up very often, especially as an individual item that's not part of a package deal.

The lack of sync on first gear is less of an issue than lack of OD oh the highway, in my humble opinion...