• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need help with Master Cylinder removal

Buckeye64

Donation Time
I am having a problem removing the spring from the Push Rod.
I removed the clevis pin from the brake pedal at the push rod location inside the car. The bolts holding the MC to the firewall have been removed.
However, the spring that is around the push rod inside the car at the firewall will not come off. It looks like it will not fit over the push rod end, the spring moves around but I can't get it over the push rod end.:mad:
HELP, any suggestions????:confused:

Thanks

Tim

skywords

Donation Time
You need to collapse the spring and slide the slotted cup washer off the pushrod and then the spring can be withdrawn over the pushrod and clevis. It is a bit tricky sometimes but a long pair of needlenose pliers helps.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The slotted cup can sometimes rust/corrode to the spring as well, in which case penetrating oil is a big help.

Allan

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply Rick and Allan.

Can't believe it took me the better part of a day to get this MC out.
After reading the reply and just sitting there looking at this thing I came up with a plan, and it work!!!:D

Leave the clevis pin connected to the brake padel, insert a wire tie in the spring,try to get as close to the top and bottom of the spring as possible, then depress the brake pedal and tighten the wire tie. Insert another wire tie opposit the first one, this will insure the whole spring is compressed. Pull the clevis pin out, move the brake pedal forward, this will give you room to work with in order to get the cap off the spring. Once the cap is off the spring comes right off also.

I think this is also a good way to reinstall the spring and cap.

Lesson learned and thanks for all the help!!!!:)

Tim

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply Rick and Allan.

Can't believe it took me the better part of a day to get this MC out.
After reading the reply and just sitting there looking at this thing I came up with a plan, and it worked!!!:D

Leave the clevis pin connected to the brake padel, insert a wire tie in the spring,try to get as close to the top and bottom of the spring as possible, then depress the brake pedal and tighten the wire tie. Insert another wire tie opposit the first one, this will insure the whole spring is compressed. Pull the clevis pin out, move the brake pedal forward, this will give you room to work with in order to get the cap off the spring. Once the cap is off the spring comes right off also.

I think this is also a good way to reinstall the spring and cap.

Lesson learned and thanks for all the help!!!!:)

Tim