• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need help finding a cam

In2sunbeam

Donation Time
My father is restoring a 69 Alpine GT fastback. He is in need of a GT camshaft. We called Sunbeam Specialties and they do not carry the cam anymore. Do you know where we can find one? It has to be a cam for a twin carb aluminum head 1725.

photobucket-5217-1316897243221.jpg

Thanks
Barry

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Nice looking GT!

You should be able to use a Series V cam, either stock or having it ground to the slightly milder GT specs. Delta Cam in Tacoma, Wash. can put any grind you like on the cam for about $50. You'll find several threads here re Delta Cam.

In2sunbeam

Donation Time
We picked up a cam from a forum member and think we have ran into another problem. The cam that was in the engine is definitely wrong on the middle two cylinders. The exhaust and intake is opposite from the cam we received from a member here. But now we discovered that the oil pump drive gear is different. The one that was in the engine is a 11 tooth and the one on the cam we purchased is 12 tooth. What should a 1725 aluminum head 1969 alpine have 11 or 12 tooth? Beginning to think we still have the wrong cam. Any ideas??

Barry

RootesRacer

Donation Time
We picked up a cam from a forum member and think we have ran into another problem. The cam that was in the engine is definitely wrong on the middle two cylinders. The exhaust and intake is opposite from the cam we received from a member here. But now we discovered that the oil pump drive gear is different. The one that was in the engine is a 11 tooth and the one on the cam we purchased is 12 tooth. What should a 1725 aluminum head 1969 alpine have 11 or 12 tooth? Beginning to think we still have the wrong cam. Any ideas??

Barry

That will be different to what you have for 2 reasons.

1) The pump drive gear has a different number of teeth between the 3 main and the 5 main engines.

2) The cams for an iron hear versus cams for an alloy head have the valves in different locations, just like the intakes and exhausts differ in port positions.

It sounds like in your case, you couldnt possibly have bought a more wrong cam for your engine.

There is absolutely no reason you couldnt use a series V alpine cam in that engine. No its not exactly the same timing specs as the hunter alpine engine, but its close enough and much easier to find.

YMMV

In2sunbeam

Donation Time
ok so we have a 5 main engine aluminum head dual carb. Tell me if I am wrong but I think we need the following cam:

1. for a 1725 5 main
2. 11 tooth
3. dual carb
4. aluminum head
5. prefer late model...seems like I read somewhere that the later ver. has more lift.

Does this sound correct and does anyone have this "needle in a hay stack"? It's all we need to finally get this thing running.

Barry

RootesRacer

Donation Time
ok so we have a 5 main engine aluminum head dual carb. Tell me if I am wrong but I think we need the following cam:

1. for a 1725 5 main
2. 11 tooth
3. dual carb
4. aluminum head
5. prefer late model...seems like I read somewhere that the later ver. has more lift.

Does this sound correct and does anyone have this "needle in a hay stack"? It's all we need to finally get this thing running.

Barry

When you say "late model", the only models that are applicable to what will actually "run" your engine are a series V (1725) cam, or an alloy head, twin carbed sunbeam "hunter" alpine cam.
As the latter are rare in the US, go with the SV cam as you will find 100 of those for each of the hunter cams.
If there is any difference in lift, it will be minor.
More HP will be gained in a carb change than in the camming.

In2sunbeam

Donation Time
When you say "late model", the only models that are applicable to what will actually "run" your engine are a series V (1725) cam, or an alloy head, twin carbed sunbeam "hunter" alpine cam.
As the latter are rare in the US, go with the SV cam as you will find 100 of those for each of the hunter cams.
If there is any difference in lift, it will be minor.
More HP will be gained in a carb change than in the camming.

Very good info. Any ideas where I can find a Series V cam?

Barry

RootesRich

Donation Time
Seriously, do not post that moron, Paeco business here ever again. Those people are idiots, will take ALL your money, and ruin your good parts.
Jan

With all due respect Jan, your response to George reads as a bit harsh. This is the first I've heard of an issue with Paeco as I'm sure it is with George and others. Care to elaborate on any problems you may have experienced?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I do not know about now, but 30 years ago they where great to work with and had a lot for our cars. Just saying.:cool:

I guess its like watch what you buy from Victoria British, in the early day things were not bad.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cams for SV

in2sunbeams,

Sent you a PM. I have two cams one used in good condition and one new both have the eleveen teeth.