• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

need flywheel

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Does anyone have a flywheel for 1965 alpine with 1600 7 1/2 clutch. once I pulled the transmission my current one looks really beat up :cool:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Does anyone have a flywheel for 1965 alpine with 1600 7 1/2 clutch. once I pulled the transmission my current one looks really beat up :cool:

No 1600 would have come from the factory with a 7.5" clutch disc (though arrow alpine/rapiers with 1500cc engines would have).

The 7.5 was used on the 5 main 1725 engines and is a different flywheel than the 3 main 1600s which used one of 3 possible 8 inch units (an 8.5 is also available but its not stock).

If you want a 7.5 clutch on a 1600, that certainly can be done, but you need the SV flywheel and the SV clutch TO pedastle for the clutch to work correctly.

You might figure out what exactly you have, a photo here would help us help you.

65beam

Donation Time
flywheel

there were series 4 alpines with the 7 1/2 inch clutch and full syncro trans. #1969 is parked in my garage just as it has been since the 60's and still has it's original flywheel with 7 1/2 inch clutch and it's original trans. it no longer has it's original engine but I do have it on the shelf. the clutch is a coarse spline just like the series 5 ( #622 ) parked next to it. late series 5's had the fine spline 7 1/2 inch clutch which was also used in very early fastbacks. at some point the fastbacks changed over to a larger clutch.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
there were series 4 alpines with the 7 1/2 inch clutch

This appears to be correct. Sunbeam Specialties shows 9410001 and on as having the 10 spline 7.5 inch clutch like the early SV.

I knew these cars had the early all-sync trans, but had always thought that the tiny 7.5 clutch was an SV thing.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Follow up

I am pretty sure it is the 7-1/2 inch because it was a the higher vin number. Al I bought the pressure plate from you a couple months ago an I think it is a 7 1/2 inch. I am going to go to the shop and measure everything to be sure.

Thanks
Everyone for the input:rolleyes:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Have 7 1/2 flywheel if you need it, I would convert or stay with the 8" setup of the earlier Alpines just easier to get the parts you need. :cool: