• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need an SV Fuel Pump Spacer

spudman5

Donation Time
I'm getting my SV engine block back from the machine shop next week. I need a new fuel pump spacer so I can complete the assembly of the engine. I tried ordering one from SS, but they are out of stock.

Does anyone have a spare fuel pump spacer, know where else to get one or make one, or know of a part from a different car that would work?

Thanks,
Mike Tanner

spudman5

Donation Time
I have the two sets of engine rebuild gaskets that came from the previous owner and unfortunately it isn't. But neither was the fuel pump gasket. The conversion set was open (used for lower half of engine) and I don't remember if I opened it or received it open. The PO may have used them when he replaced the fuel pump previously.

Thanks for the idea though.

Mike

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Mike,

I am pretty sure I have one since I removed my non-functional fuel pump and our Alpine has an electric pump now. Maybe we can use it as an excuse to get together, I can drop it off sometime when I'm in Carpentersville.

I know people have mentioned spacing the pump properly. Are all the spacers the same thickness, or do the vary depending on the pump and lever that rides on the cam?

Todd

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Todd,
I believe the deal is that the spacer is called out as a thermal insulator/brake, to isolate block heat from the pump. And it's a pretty much the same size across the board. (Don't have one handy to say what that size is, though.) The adjusting shims take the form of gaskets, and make fine adjustments to the distance the lever pivot axis and the cam lobe. This geometry determines the stroke of the pump, and hence the delivery volume. (Pressure seems to be fixed by a spring override on the lever where the plunger bears.) So it's small shims that make the flow adjustment.

Although there's an procedure in the manual, the "put it all together like it was and try it" method has worked for me so far. Just keep it on the list of things to check when troubleshooting fuel delivery problems -- deficit or excess.

spudman5

Donation Time
Todd,

Thanks for the offer, but I already found one. However, we should still get together. I hope to be back on the road soon and I would like to see your car.

Mike

67Alpine

Donation Time
I am having the same issue, (no spacer). I have the shims from my gasket kit but it did not include a new spacer and I dont have an old one. Did you find a source for them spudman5 that you would be willing to share? :)

spudman5

Donation Time
Tracy,

I received a used spacer from another forum member and an offer from another that had converted to an electric pump.
Other than that, SS is the only place I know and I didn't ask when they would be restocked.

Mike