• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need A Hi Lift Cam - Please Help!

B

BiG-BoB-82UK

Hi from across the pond, i'm a new user and hope i can get some help.

I need a hi lift - but not too hi - cam for a 1725cc engine with an alloy head.

it's gotta go into a singer vogue, pics will be put up soon.

any help would be great, i'm also looking for some bigger inlet valves and inserts too - going to do some major work on my spare head, vizzard mod, bigger inlet valves, ports and polish to mirror finish, may even turbocharged it but don't know yet

thanks.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Were will the engine be used: Street or track?
"...ports and polish to mirror finish". You are not serious about a mirror finish? That won't do a darn thing.

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you are saying you are from accross the pond as in UK, i am wonering why you are not making use of lots of the local alpine knowledge? I think You should get in contact with the club there and find Steve Smith or Chris Draycot and see what they can offer you. Also Kent make ogff the shelf cams for you there, not to mention Holbay. Please ask questions here, get suggestions and advice.. but you have LOTS of specialst knowledge about Alpines and Rootes motors where yuo are. I believe you can even buy a 150bhp 1725 (stroker 2 litre) off the shelf from some specialsts there.

Also Jan i have to disagree with you on polishing to a mirror finsih not being of any use.. on the intake ports it will allow the fuel to slow down on the outside (next to the walls of the passage) and cause the flow and tubulance to be much less losing you performance and allow a build up on the surface, and in the chambers it will allow you to see the frown on your face when yuo open the motor up to do work on it.:D

Bob, mirror finishing might be ok on a race car that is pulled down every meet, but even then its not great. What you want is to polish the ports but with some texture so the fuel gets turbulance. As for the chambers you would want to swirl polish the chambers and valves.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hate to be piling on, but a hot street cam is not the best solution for a turbo setup. Best decide which way you are going before getting the cam.

Bill

B

BiG-BoB-82UK

it's too expensive over here, i thought buy stuff from usa and ship it over would be much cheaper.

i'm only starting out and have read up on some tuning sites saying "mirror polish for best performance"

"swirl polish"??? do you mean make the ports like the inside of a gun barrel?

B

BiG-BoB-82UK

fast road cam would be best for the moment, will use it for a while then probably rebuild the motor completely when turbocharging - if i decide i want more power :D

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The "KB" grind (from Delta Camshaft) is a 3/4 race cam that is the wildest cam for the street for a 1725 or 1600. I wouldn't go any wilder.
You can search their web site to find them.

Ian & I have installed a full race cam "D9" (2500-6000rpm) in the Tedder Project Alpine (vintage racing). We have the engine running, it sound pretty good, but we haven't driven it yet. Its going to be raced at the end of this month at Mid-Ohio race track.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi from across the pond, i'm a new user and hope i can get some help.

I need a hi lift - but not too hi - cam for a 1725cc engine with an alloy head.

it's gotta go into a singer vogue, pics will be put up soon.

any help would be great, i'm also looking for some bigger inlet valves and inserts too - going to do some major work on my spare head, vizzard mod, bigger inlet valves, ports and polish to mirror finish, may even turbocharged it but don't know yet

thanks.

My own flow testing has shown that high lift on the alpine doesnt yield better flow numbers on a flow bench. The flow was all done at .350 valve lift, which my own cam was ground with a .330 lobe height or .450 valve lift.

This testing was done with my very worked head with 1.600 intake valves and 1.400 exhaust valves, both of which are larger than stock, and can not be enlarged without the valves themselves hitting.

What you probably want is a "high duration", or a "high overlap" cam or a combination therebetween.

The Holbay E128 cam (or at least the specs, which I had a cam ground to) makes for a pretty spirited street/strip cam, yielding a 1000 RPM lumpy idle (using twin webers), and a power band that surpasses 6000 RPM.

B

BiG-BoB-82UK

ok, thanks for the info so far guyz.

does anyone have or know where i can get a holbay cam or similar

prefer a smooth idle cam if possible - holbay is quite stable at 800rpm with twin stromberg CD175's

i don't think i'll be going much over 6000-6500rpm, i like my engine to stay in one piece longer than a month :D

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
You can still do business with Holbay, they have a webiste:

http://www.holbay.co.uk/

However, you should check to see with some local guys to see if their still happy with the work from the shop. Clearly their focus has shifted from Rootes products!

Steve

Jim E

Donation Time
I ran the D9 grind on the street and it was livable but teh KB is the best all around street grind .