• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Napier-Railton

Nickodell

Donation Time
Great!!

The car was driven by John Cobb. He held the ultimate lap record at the track at an average speed of 143.44 mph achieved on 7 October 1935, the same Cobb who held the Land Speed Record longer than anyone else in history.

Driving the piston engined, wheel driven Railton Mobil Special he broke the Land Speed Record at Bonneville on August 23, 1939 at a speed of 367.91 m.p.h. Without this being beaten he raised the record to 394.19 m.p.h. in 1947, breaking 400 on one run. The record was unbeaten until 1963 when it was narrowly surpassed by Craig Breedlove in the jet powered Spirit of America.

During World War II he served as a pilot in the Royal Air Force, reaching the rank of Group Captain (eq. full colonel).

He died attempting to improve the water speed record at Loch Ness in the jet speedboat Crusader at a speed in excess of 200 mph. There is a memorial to him erected by the people of Glen Urquhart, which my wife and I have seen on one of our trops to Loch Ness. Like H.O.D. Seagrave (who used to race Sunbeams!) and Donald Campbell, he died while holding the land speed record, while going after the water speed record. We saw it happen in real time on TV, in September 1952. We were cheering him on and then "pow!"

O

odl21

wow. i love those early aero-engine racers.

i wonder if there is anyone making similar (reproduction) stuff these days? it would be fantastic to build something like that. not an exact replica, just something along those lines.

chassis and bodywork would be feasible.
finding an old big aero engine should be ok.
even the suspension shouldn't be too hard.
but you'd need wheels, tires and brakes....

Nickodell

Donation Time
Jay Leno has one, with a R-R Merlin engine. He showed it on TV once, as well as his Stanley steamer. 27 litres, 1,400hp. Probably lots of torque :D