• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Name that part!

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
OK, when the mechanic put my rebuilt engine back in years ago, he left some stuff off. I've figured out what most of the parts are but am still scratching my head about two items that are obviously intended to brace something. Anyone know what this is and where it goes? It's about 14 inches long. Looks kind of important.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 86

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The long end attaches to the oil pan using pan screws, other end to trans/bell assembly and provides some rigidity to the whole. That's what I remember...

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Doug, you are correct. I left these off of mine the first time I took the motor out too.

Cheers,

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
OK, when the mechanic put my rebuilt engine back in years ago, he left some stuff off. I've figured out what most of the parts are but am still scratching my head about two items that are obviously intended to brace something. Anyone know what this is and where it goes? It's about 14 inches long. Looks kind of important.

They go from the bottom of the block to the bell housing.The flange mounts to the bell housing.Once you hold it to the bottom of the engine it will definitley be clear.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe there is a different length on some of them such as the SIV is Different than the SV's Atleast mine where/are....;)

sd_pace

Donation Time
I seem to remember that the block had two studs for these supports where they met the pan, one on each side .... anyway they require longer bolts by a half inch:rolleyes:
steve

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I seem to remember that the block had two studs for these supports where they met the pan, one on each side .... anyway they require longer bolts by a half inch:rolleyes:
steve

Yeah, I found one threaded stud on each side. But the flanges extend about an inch past the face of the bell housing when I put the supports in place. They look like they would be the right length if I used the two screws to the front of the studs, but the studs get in the way and prevent that. I'm tempted to just leave them off, but the factory must have thought they were important.

I'm thinking that maybe someone put the studs back in the wrong holes. The passenger side one is mounted just to the rear of the oil pressure line. It looks like if I move it one hole closer to the front, the whole thing should work. I guess I might be able to get them out with some vice grips.

Last edited:

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Name That Part 2.0

Well, I figured out how to make the braces/brackets connect between the oil pan/block and bell housing, so I figured I could put another mystery part on at the same time. This looks like it should cover the lower half of the bell housing to keep crud off the flywheel. The cut-out looks like it's a pass-through for the clutch slave cylinder. But this thing doesn't have enough holes, so the brackets can't be used with it. Plus, it doesn't clear the block where the starter bolts on. WTF? :confused:

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 43

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Name The Part

That flywheel cover is not for a Sunbeam, if my memory is correct.

I have the correct one if you need it.

Thanks

Gary Tosel

Last edited:

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Flywheel cover

Yeah, you're right. I got one off my parts car. I almost wish I had bought yours, though. The tires on it don't hold air anymore, so I had to jack it up in three stages, put it on blocks, and dig a little trench underneath it to get to the part. Pain in the ass, but at least I snagged a spare clutch slave while I was at it.