• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

My V6 on youtube

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Congratulations Mike,

It sounds wonderful. It sounds like you have a hot cam in it; do you? I know the feelings of elation you must have had, when you fired it for the first time. After so much time and effort, to see it come alive, is wonderful. I know you'll enjoy it for a long time.

Jose :D

My son caught me off guard, but it doesn't matter.

Still lots to do before it can be driven, but the worst is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akMIEv03Ftk

Special thanks to Robert J. and Barry K.

miket

Donation Time
Thanks Jose,

The engine is completely stock. The only thing I did was remove all the EFI stuff, and replace it with a HEI distributor , and a 2 barrel Holley on the S10 2.8 manifold. And it all worked. I can barely believe it as this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

If anyone is interested a found a great site for information on the various means of ignition.

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/ignition.htm

That guy is a mechanical genius. Looks like he does fabrication for those in the neighborhood.

Cheers,

Mike

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
WOW!! That is the biggest tank of nitrous oxide I have ever seen.

It appears that he's missing the drivers side scuttle brace. The shiny cylinder on the other scuttle brace, appears to be the coil.

Jose :)

What was the tank in the trunk all about? Also the little tank on the brace, an extinguisher?

miket

Donation Time
Correct Jose, the coil is on the passenger side brace. The driver side brace is there.

I wouldn't even attempt ts use a nitrious tank.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
v-6

Thanks Jose,

The engine is completely stock. The only thing I did was remove all the EFI stuff, and replace it with a HEI distributor , and a 2 barrel Holley on the S10 2.8 manifold. And it all worked. I can barely believe it as this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

If anyone is interested a found a great site for information on the various means of ignition.

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/ignition.htm

That guy is a mechanical genius. Looks like he does fabrication for those in the neighborhood.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, what is the advantage to using a 2.8, s-10 intake?

miket

Donation Time
All of the chevy "iron head" 60 degree V6 engines share the same block. Actually The aluninum heads are all the same too. But the earlier 2.8 used a carb. I decided that a carb was more correct for this car. (no debate needed, that's what I wanted). So there were two alternatives, spend a bunch of money on an Edlebrock, or simply use the inexpensive manifold from the earlier 2.8. I think I paid about $15 for one on Ebay.

By the way, I think that the Edlebrock would have placed the carb much higher and a scoop would have been required.

I made a 1/2 aluminum adapter for the carb, and the carb and filter just fit under the hood. There is no room to spare. I should have used a 1/4, and I may make another. And another note. The Mr. Gasket, Rochester to Holly adapter doesn't work.

The only oddity is that, because the down ports on the manifold are placed back too front, the Holly ends up being mounted sideways. But you can't tell once the filter is on.

One positive to using the Holly. I needed new gaskets, and a needle valve. So I went to a local performance shop and they had them hanging on the rack. It seems that the basic Holley parts haven't changed.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
2.8 intake

That explains that,but I am confused. The youtube shows an engine w/ a ford valve cover, or is that not you?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bull, You are confused about two different youtube clips. The first one is the post by Mike. The second is some German guy's youtube that Jan posted. THAT's the one with the Ford valve covers.

Tom

miket

Donation Time
Correct Tom. Thanks,

I just happened on the video this evening, then I understood the question.

Mine's the one where the guy holding the camera has shakey hands. Me!

mikel

Donation Time
Correct Tom. Thanks,

I just happened on the video this evening, then I understood the question.

Mine's the one where the guy holding the camera has shakey hands. Me!

miket

Shaky hands?
You mean the excitement of satisfaction and the rush of pure adult adrenalin.
Very nice car!
Hope to see more videos and pictures.

mikel

miket

Donation Time
MikeH,

I'm using the Camaro 3.4 and T5 transmission,

I'm only using the intake manifold from the 2.8.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
2.8 intake

Bull, You are confused about two different youtube clips. The first one is the post by Mike. The second is some German guy's youtube that Jan posted. THAT's the one with the Ford valve covers.

Tom

You are correct, Tom. I saw the other video shortly after my post and realized what the situation was.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
I am very interested in thr details of putting the GM V6 in your Alpine. A previous board member was working on the same conversion, and had concluded that he needed to remove the Alpine steering system and go to a rack & pinion. How did you do your car?

miket

Donation Time
Todd,

yes I did remove the steeering box and replace it with rack and pinion. I've basically followed the advice of a Tiger "tech tip" I read which said to use a midget rack and pinion and MGB steering arms.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/PaulickAckerman/pt-PaulickAckerman1.asp

Installing the engine was the easiest part. It's finding all the misc bits and setting up the exhaust which takes the most time. In a way, I complicated matters by using a carb. But that wasn't that bad. My biggest worry was the distributor. And that turned out to be easy too. But until it fired, I could not be sure that I had the right unit or the wires connected properly.

Somewhere on another post I show pictures of the engine in.

It should be a real bullet. I'm still working on the misc stuff. Water temp and oil pressure hook up. I have to finish the exhaust. Tonight I'll finish installing another throttle. Haven't even thought about the speedometer or tachometer. Maybe I'll just hold a wind meter over the windshield when I come into a school zone.

Cheers,

Mike