• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

My rear axle adventure

Duke

Donation Time
rearax1.JPG

Well, the rear axle is ready to be installed. It turns out a PO had a 4.10 gear installed and a very nice Power-Loc limited slip. Due to the type of Power-Loc carrier, I could not use it for the 3.07 gear I wanted to install. I replaced it with a AuburnGear unit and a 3.07 ring and pinion. Looking forward to cruising at highways speeds not screaming down the road.

Some lessons learned about my Tigers rear. It has two piece axle shafts that are 19 spline. 19 spine is not common, 30 spline is, and was used on 60's - 70's vehicles. This makes finding a limited slip a challenge. The two piece axle shafts require a "floater" in the rear diff which also limits LS units. The pinion gear has a coarse spline that the yoke bolts too. I had to replace the yoke with a spicer unit that has fine splines otherwise you will not be able to find a 3.07 gear. My drive shaft rear U-Joint will just bolt to the spicer yoke which is nice.

rearax2.JPG

So my quick easy and cheap gear change cost almost 4X what I thought it would. Ahhhhhhhhh....Tiger ownership is great ;)

A footnote - I also replaced a rear brake cylinder which I got from SS. I found that the two slots that the parking brake lever swivels in were way two small and required quite a bit of opening with a rotary tool for the brake lever to seat properly. Anyone else find this issue?