• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

My new dash?

norville

Donation Time
Well, folks I decided to lemonade out of oranges..... Here's my series 3 dash going into my 1963 series 2.. I had to make lots of repairs and get a bit fancy. I think I have about $30 into it and a few hours ..

bob

sorry for the poor quality pics

norville

Donation Time
Looks great, I was planning on doing something similar. Is that 1/8" oak? Where did you purchase?

Thanks, It's rosewood veneer from ebay (1/40th or 1/50th "). I think I have enough to do dozen more.... I have a few more uses for it but it was cheap. Pull you dash first and then take measurements. I could have gotten it cheaper if I measured better. Burl walnut was only $30-50 for usable pieces....

bob

miket

Donation Time
I received the Formica I ordered yesterday. Today I took a stab and fabricating a panel.

I think it's going to look OK. The burl is very nice. I don't know if a clear coad should be added for UV protection. Maybe someone could advise.

Mike

Attachments

• formiaca dash.jpg
    formiaca dash.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 84

norville

Donation Time
I received the Formica I ordered yesterday. Today I took a stab and fabricating a panel.

I think it's going to look OK. The burl is very nice. I don't know if a clear coad should be added for UV protection. Maybe someone could advise.

Mike

WOW that looks great. I must say after the PITA it was varnishing this one . I'd do formica in an instant. Where did you get it? I don't think anything is needed for formika, but you could try some clear spray for plastics??

bob

miket

Donation Time
Nothing like the workmanship in your aluminum dash.

All I did is take a dash and run around it with a router bit. Actually I messed up on the first attempt and took a bite out of the dash. The turn indicator and various switches to have the same wall as the guages, and my bit when sailing into the dash as the guide was too deep. I can propably fill it with fiberglass.

Forturnately I bought this dash on ebay for experimentation.

But compliments are always welcome.

very nice, very nice
both norville and miket, bang up jobs!

64beam

Donation Time

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your dash looks great. A clear coat can definately be added, but depending on the product can cause it to look a bit more yellowish. Have a read up of some of the UV protected clear coats and you should be ok.

Regards, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would not add any coating whatsoever, except perhaps some wax. I have never seen Formica successfully coated in the past - it tends to lift and peel in short order and any coating you add will likely yellow in time anyway.

The best way to protect from UV is to use the tonneau cover whenever it's parked in the sun, since that will protect then entire interior.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have never seen Formica successfully coated in the past - it tends to lift and peel in short order and any coating you add will likely yellow in time anyway.

Someone told me that you can use the pour on coating that is often used to cover bars and tables. I don't know this for a fact, but perhaps someone else has tried it?

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I used a "marine varnish" on my wooden dash (which I made using a solid piece of local tropical timber). Simply painted it on with a brush and its come up really well. Its designed for painting woodwork on yachts etc.

I figured that a marine-grade product would be very hard-wearing, and so far so good (18 months, harsh climate).

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Formica is, by its nature, pretty much non-stick (or at least minimal stick). To get any finish to adhere to this you'd probably have to rough up the surface quite a bit, which would likely ruin the otherwise really pretty result you have now.

I haven't really seen Formica fade horribly in the sun. Have you contacted the manufacturer to see what they recommend?