• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

My first step to better performance.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have finally been bitten by the V8 bug and have purchased my first, modest performance upgrade item. I have purchased a Holley 465 carburettor, being the first piece of the upgrade puzzle. The carburettor is a manual choke, but I will get it converted to electric choke. My next piece will be the manifold, which will be either an Edelbrock or Weiand manifold. Any comments on the manifolds would be helpful. Following is a picture of the carburettor I purchased.

Regards, Robin.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin,

If your carb is a squarebore, you can ignore the following description. I am not sure what the
Holley 465
carb is so I am making a guess.

If your new carb is a 4165 "spreadbore", then you might have a challenge finding a manifold. IIRC, the 4165 was designed as a performance replacement for the GM Rochester Quadrajet four barrel carb. A 4165 would have a different mounting pattern than the standard Holley 4150/4160 "squarebore" carb style. Unless you find a manifold to accommodate the different pattern and bore dimensions, you will most likely need an adapter. Probably causing a clearance issue with the hood.

HTH,

RootesRooter

Donation Time
A Holley 465 is a two-barrel carb that will give improved performance and quick response, particularly in the lower rpm range. It was used by at least one national champion autocrosser back in the pre-tube-frame days when Tigers were competitive.

Robin,

If your carb is a squarebore, you can ignore the following description. I am not sure what a carb is so I am making a guess.

If your new carb is a 4165 "spreadbore", then you might have a challenge finding a manifold. IIRC, the 4165 was designed as a performance replacement for the GM Rochester Quadrajet four barrel carb. A 4165 would have a different mounting pattern than the standard Holley 4150/4160 "squarebore" carb style. Unless you find a manifold to accommodate the different pattern and bore dimensions, you will most likely need an adapter. Probably causing a clearance issue with the hood.

HTH,

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
A Holley 465 is a two-barrel carb that will give improved performance and quick response, particularly in the lower rpm range. It was used by at least one national champion autocrosser back in the pre-tube-frame days when Tigers were competitive.

RootesRooter,

The picture is clearly a four barrel, the angle though does not show the bottom or if the fuel inlet is similar to a GM carb. Still a guess until Robin confirms what he actually has for a carb.

EDIT

I am going to say an incorrect guess at that. I just dug up an old Holley catalog and Robin's picture does not match the picture of the 4165/4175 series carbs.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The original LAT-1 high rise manifold was an Edelbrock F4B and had 8 mounting holes drilled into it to mount either a Holley or a Rochester. Presently Edelbrock sells a line of carbs that are based on the old style Rochester design. What I don't know is if they still drill all the holes to mount either type of carb on their performer series manifolds. My personal choice would be Edelbrock. Jeff

V_Mad

Donation Time
Robin, I assume you mean that you have a 465 cfm Holley, part No 0-1848-1, which is the one I have fitted. If so this is probably a model 4160 carb which is a 4-barrel aftermarket, general purpose type with vac secondaries. Note: you may find it runs a bit rich :(

I have ditched the electric choke and fitted a manual as they consume a lot of current from your battery. I would think again before changing it!

PS: I just bought an old Carter AFB (for pennies) I am going to play with. They are supposed to be pretty good, and are the forerunners of the Edelbrock/Webers; part are interchangeable. Also much lighter than the lead Holley!!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin, I assume you mean that you have a 465 cfm Holley, part No 0-1848-1, which is the one I have fitted. If so this is probably a model 4160 carb which is a 4-barrel aftermarket, general purpose type with vac secondaries. Note: you may find it runs a bit rich :(

Chris,

I think you are right about Robin's carb.

If you are interested, my 1994 Holley catalog has a listing of the set-up installed in your carb at the factory. Your carb was not listed as available in 1994 though ( may or may not mean anything ). I am thinking that Holley's universal carbs are known to run on the rich side as OE tuning. Rich being more forgivable if in error.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Chris, the AFB stands for Aluminum Four Barrel. So watch out what you soak yours in when cleaning for rebuilding. Most common fault was a worn seal on the accelerator pump which caused fuel to come out of the top of the carb where the shaft connected to the linkage. The pumps were sold as a seperate assembly to avoid buying a whole rebuild kit too. Still a very durable carb compared to a Holley. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Sorry to keep you all guessing for so long (have been very sick today :( ) and for my lack of description. Chris is correct, I have bought a Holley 1848-1 (465 cfm squarebore 4 barrel). I'm hoping for little hassles, as the seller has replaced just about everything and looks very clean. My next step is the manifold.

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
I hear that the Weiand manifolds flow as well as the (more expensive) Edelbrock.

Heres a pic of my Carter AFB. Its a 9500 which apparently is a 500 CFM model. I dont yet know how to work on this if it needs any work, apart from adjustment of the usual mixture screws. Looks simple to get the top off if needs be.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin, I know very little about V8 manifolds, but I do know the brand of manifold is not as important as the type, which is dependent on engine tune and your type of driving.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
I hear that the Weiand manifolds flow as well as the (more expensive) Edelbrock.

Heres a pic of my Carter AFB. Its a 9500 which apparently is a 500 CFM model. I dont yet know how to work on this if it needs any work, apart from adjustment of the usual mixture screws. Looks simple to get the top off if needs be.

Hi Chris,

It does'nt look like much has changed by looking at the carter (looks very similar to the current versions). I would definately put a kit through it though. Did you use the original Tiger linkage to connect up your Holley?

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have decided to go for the Edelbrock performer 289 inlet manifold as I can get a good deal on one. I compared the port size on the edelbrock and the weiand manifold and the sizes are pretty much the same and both work over the same rev range and are low rise manifolds. I have heard good reports on the Edelbrock manifolds as well. Now I just have to take step number two and purchase one.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

I have decided to go for the Edelbrock performer 289 inlet manifold as I can get a good deal on one. I compared the port size on the edelbrock and the weiand manifold and the sizes are pretty much the same and both work over the same rev range and are low rise manifolds. I have heard good reports on the Edelbrock manifolds as well. Now I just have to take step number two and purchase one.

Regards, Robin.

I have heard VERY good things about the newer edelbrock performer air gap manifold... seems to be the ticket for the small block ford...

64beam

Donation Time
I have heard VERY good things about the newer edelbrock performer air gap manifold... seems to be the ticket for the small block ford...

Hi Michael,

I was talking to a guy who said the same thing. The only trouble, my engine won't get the benefit from the hi-rise manifold and will only open a can of worms (don't get me started with the power trip). Yours on the other hand...;) . That is why I am only going for a subtle upgrade.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
An Offer Too Good To Refuse.

After deciding to go for a Edelbrock manifold, I found an offer on Ebay I could not resist. A Weiand action-plus low-rise manifold which had only been fitted to an engine, not used in anger. Basically a new manifold and I won it for AUS$127.50. So I suppose that is step two out of the way as well :) . Now for all the miscellaneous items.

Regards, Robin.