• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

My Factory Original SIV Colour Code 70

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
We have had this discussion before about "There was no factory original colour code 70.

But "For the Record" I must say again that I have a factory original 1965 SIV that has color/colour code 70 on the data plate which is Maroon.

After a review of our site I find an error in Factory Color Codes & Interior Schemes and was wondering where and how to get it corrected.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

DanR

Last edited:

RootesRich

Donation Time
Dan,
I don't recall the original discussion, so I can't comment on what was stated. However, 70 was obviously a special order and thus, not a standard (Factory) Alpine color. With that in mind, ANY Rootes color outside the standard Alpine colors could be special ordered if the customer was willing to pay extra and wait. Having been around Alpines since I was 4 (I'm 44 now), I admit I've only heard of/ seen one other special order paint. I recall the data tag was stamped to match the special color order similar to yours. I suspect a special order paint was a VERY rare occurrence.

The basis of the Factory Color Codes is just that, the factory colors and not the entire Rootes color catalog. Therefore I don't believe color 70 should be added to the Factory Color Codes. However, perhaps during a future update of the website, the other known Rootes colors could be included in a subsection. I know there's some Rootes colors offered on other vehicles that would have looked fantastic on an Alpine and perhaps inspire someone during a future restoration or respray.

My two cents worth....

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
RootesRich, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I bought the Alpine in question from the original owner.

He supposedly had served in England at one time and was aquainted with the Alpine from there.

I have pictures of the data plate for what ever interest that might be for future reference.

I'd like to see an up date to the Forum's coverage of the Sunbeam Alpines colour (color) codes to include "70". If there are others that have similar proof they should also be included.

DanR

P.S. Surely I do not have the olny Alpine with the color code 70 ! There must be more !

Mike snyder

Donation Time
Maybe what is needed is a list of "standard" Alpine colors and an open list of found "special order" colors? That way you could see what is most typical color and what the optional colors looked like?

RootesRich

Donation Time
P.S. Surely I do not have the olny Alpine with the color code 70 ! There must be more !

You may very well have the one and only special order color code 70. Like I stated previously, special order colors in general were very rare. Factoring in the rarity of a special order, plus the odds of the same special order color being selected from the entire Rootes catalog (which had many colors), I'd say the odds are strong it's the only one.

I do like Mike's suggestion of the Factory colors with an open list of known special order colors.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another great list of Colour Codes!

Thanks for another great list on Colour Codes for our cars.

DanR

Ozzmosis86

Donation Time
I have another Alpine with a unique/special color. I have a 65 Series IV which is in Auburn Gold Metallic, color code 68. The car was purchased new in 64 by my grandfather. S/N: B9400248GT LRX

Andy

Hodee

Donation Time
color codes

Don't mean to steal the thread but can someone explain the differences in shade between forest green and holly green? 67 Ser V. They seem to be nearly identical. Thx