• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MSD ignition

jimfai

Donation Time
i want to remove the jacobs system in my car and install the msd set up with blaster coil. does anyone know which msd part number to use since my v6 still has points?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was going to use the 6AL, as it has a built in rev limiter which can be programed depending on what pill you plug into it, and I'll probably end up with it eventually.

My project has cost alot more than originally planned, but the car has had a complete restoration. For that reason, I put money where it needed to go to get the car finished and plan to use the Duraspark ignition set up initially.
Depending on how the car runs (and it will run one day soon!) I may stick with the Duraspark as it's alot less than the MSD.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I may stick with the Duraspark as it's alot less than the MSD.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

In some circumstances an MSD will cure ignition issues that a normal inductive ignition cannot.

That said, in my opinion the reliability (or lack thereof) of MSD products makes the duraspark look mighty good.

jimfai

Donation Time
i am not familiar with the Duraspark? is this is ford item, (dura?) or another aftermarket unit? i do know that my car came with the 3 piece jacobs set up and i have already had 2 issues with it in just a couple months. i had a jacobs set up on one of my mgb-gt v8's and it caused me so much grief i removed it. so the 6alt? do you know the 4 digit number that follows this? thanks all.

socorob

Donation Time
I have not installed megajolt yet. I know a lot of guys that have msd and they carry a spare one with them for when they fail. So seeingthat I went with a Mallory since my distributor and coil is Mallory. After the 2nd one failed in a month or so I sent it back and got a refund and right now I'm just using a ballast resistor. I figured megajolt using the ford edis and coil packs couldn't be any worse.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Unless you are using a power adder (blower, Turbo, Nitrous oxide) the Ford Duraspark is a winner. They are a simple one or two (depending if you use the Duraspark or Duraspark II) wire hook up. The only thing you'll need to do, is remove your points distributor and replace it with the one that corresponds with whichever version you have. They are inexpensive and reliable, as long as you use a new one.

I believe the Duraspark II came in the Rangers/Bronco II's 1983 and up. The first version came in the 1975 and up Mustang II/Capri, Capri II, Pinto wagon.

In my turbo Alpine, I used an MSD 7AL and had to have it repaired once in about 15 years.

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
In my turbo Alpine, I used an MSD 7AL and had to have it repaired once in about 15 years.

Jose

MSD has come a long way (down) in the years since you used their products.

In fact, the chinese MSD knock off that Summit sells outperforms and has fewer return issues than the "real deal".

I agree on the duraspark, its a very good OEM ignition system.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Duraspark II is also ALOT less expensive that most of the other options as the bulk of mine came from a salvage yard and cost next to nothing. The replacement ignition module cost me about $30, but you have to be careful which one you buy as some of the old names are now Chinese and are not as good as they once were. Having said that, you can buy alot of $30 modules for the cost of one MSD unit. :D

The full part # for the 6AL is a # 6420

Cheers!
Steve

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have you looked at the Pertronix Ignitor III? It's a multispark system, has adaptive dwell through the entire RPM range, and has a built in user adjustable rev limiter.

Yenko

Donation Time
I went with a CraneCam HI-6 with an integrated rev-limiter that I had in my garage since 20 years...and love it