• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Motorized Antenna Placement

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The recent discussion on placement of rear view mirrors* has prompted me to post a tangentially related question. I remember reading a tech tip a long time ago--probably in the mid-80's and probably in the TE/AE newsletter--on how and where to install a motorized antenna in an Alpine. I'd like to do this on my SIV and want to drill the hole before the car is painted. Does anyone have that article, or know exactly where the hole goes? And what type of antenna is needed?

Thanks.

*BTW: Thanks for asking that Rick! This is something I've been meaning to ask about for a long time.

Armand4

Donation Time
The antenna on my Series II is on the passenger's side on the edge of the cowl just ahead of the windshield. That way it's above the footwell. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that (like so much of the stuff on my car) it was jury-rigged together by one of the previous owners.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Jim, the antenna was made by Herada and the guy positioned it behind the conv top well on the flat area of the right rear quarter. Look to drill a hole close to the panel seams for added strength. I'll start digging thru my old stuff, I think there was a template included. Jeff

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Just like fender and door mirrors, antennas seemed to have been placed all over the Alpine's body by the dealer. I've seen both passenger and driver side on the cowl close to the windshield, as well as coming out of the fins in the rear. I think it will be appropriate wherever you put it.

Now if it were me, a better place for a motorized antenna is on ebay......:p

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Motorized Antenna

Jim,
You are right, it was TE/AE. I remember reading it too. I think it even had a drill templlate. I'm sure I have a copy in my tech tips notebook. If you can give me a fax number, I will dig it out over the weekend and fax it to you on monday when I get to work

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I found the info in the TE/AE newsletter from August 1981. Now to figure out how to scan and post it. Oh yeah, it was installed on the rt front fender. I must of been thinking of another installation in my first reply. Jeff

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Todd and Jeff. I can still 'see' the article. What I can't do it is find it. I appreciate any help I can get.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I has been almost 6 years since I wrote this question and about 2 years since I was able to find and buy the proper antenna. Jeff "jmthehermit" was nice enough to send me the TE/AE article on installing one back in 2008, but I've changed computers since then and - now that I need the article - I can't find it. Jeff hasn't been active on this site for a while, but I tried sending him an email. Just in case the address he has on his profile isn't active anymore, does anyone else have it? I want to be sure the hole is drilled in the right place on my SIV V6.

Thanks.

Jim

65beam

Donation Time
placement

jim,
if you look under the a post on the inside of the car you'll see the underneath side of the body has a stamped hole for the antenna.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have the same antenna from the same guy....

JimAntenna!!

I did utilize the original antenna hole (SV right / passenger side hole, then made some "custom cuts" and fitted it down under and back of the wiper motor.

Out of the way and fits nicely.

Have some PIC's some where too!

Just haven't found them yet!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Dan. A very nice, clean installation! And, nice job with the insulation. It doesn't look like you missed much!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I used POR 15, then Lizard Skin (both applied by brush), topped off with Dynamat.

With the "other" standard stuff applied such as the carpeting and side panels the car is nice and quite.