• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

More stupid questions, what do I have here?

MARTINSR

Donation Time
How about this clip thingie for like a top boot or something, why in the world would they put this one in trunk trough?

Brian

RootesRacer

Donation Time
A rubber bumper goes there.
The trunk lid rests on it and its adjustable to allow for the trunk lid to be flush with the body.

Yours is missing the rubber.

MARTINSR

Donation Time
Ahh, makes perfect sense, thanks. It's fun as heck working on something that I know nothing about, all I can do is learn.

Brian

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Wait, look again. That looks like the trunk, not the engine bay, and that looks like an early series hardtop. For series I and early series II they put a stud in that area of the trunk for the rear of the tonneau cover to fasten on to - you should have a matching one on the other side.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Scott is correct the early covers stretched down in to the boor drain area so that the water drained off and into the channel and you didnt have dots marking the body everywhere.. also they had studs mounted on the front screen frame.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My bad.

My SII doesn't have that...

They were fitted if you ordered the factory tonneau cover... if the car didn't have one fitted in period .. the aftermarket ones didn't use that system. They look a bit funny when fitted.. looks like someone tucked a vinyl sheet into your boot (trunk)

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting. Both of my (former) SI's had tonneau's like that. My SII does not, the tonneau attaches to the body forward of the trunk.

65beam

Donation Time
more

I have a couple windshields that have the tonneau studs. there were a couple sources for tonneaus that clipped under the trunk lid on series 1 & 2 cars. some amco covers had them.

MARTINSR

Donation Time
Thanks guys, darn interesting. And again, it's fun to learn stuff about the car, like the heater core under the hood latch! :eek: That was a surprise!

Brian

EwertD

Donation Time
SI Tonnough fitting

On the first Si I bought brand new in 1961, there were studs mounted as you have shown and the tonnough indeed did secure to those studs but there was also a padded tube ring at the back of the cover that also fit into the slot between both studs. It looked very nice when fitted. In fact I wish my SII had it set up that way.

If you have questions email me.

Dennis Ewert
b58nav1@gmail.com