• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

More questions about Weber Carbs

napa 1

Donation Time
I just may be the newest recipient of an "out of the box" weber 32/36. I mounted it on its pretty new manifold, connected the fuel line, adjusted the mixture and idle following instructions that were posted on this forum, and fired it up (following a lot of encouragement from some forum members). I've been driving it as much as I can over the past week and have not experienced the flat spot, in fact the throttle is surprisingly responsive right off the line. I took the car to our local British mechanic today to have him look over my work, perform a safety inspection etc. His comments were that the Weber carb was the single best modification you can make to these cars. Set it up and forget about it. Just for reference though, I will certainly mark the time and mileage if a flat spot does occur in the future.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
webers

I just may be the newest recipient of an "out of the box" weber 32/36. I mounted it on its pretty new manifold, connected the fuel line, adjusted the mixture and idle following instructions that were posted on this forum, and fired it up (following a lot of encouragement from some forum members). I've been driving it as much as I can over the past week and have not experienced the flat spot, in fact the throttle is surprisingly responsive right off the line. I took the car to our local British mechanic today to have him look over my work, perform a safety inspection etc. His comments were that the Weber carb was the single best modification you can make to these cars. Set it up and forget about it. Just for reference though, I will certainly mark the time and mileage if a flat spot does occur in the future.

My thoughts exactly. More fun = big grins, big grins = bugs on teeth..:D
I have had my Weber for almost a year, though do not get it out enough.. Runs like a top. I went to a cable linkage for smoooothness.
CHuck

burgy711

Donation Time
I have a weber on my Alpine and it does work well. I was wondering if you experience the same thing I do though on first start. With the original mechanical fuel pump it takes a long time to get fuel to the carburetor. I can crank on the starter for a full minute pumping the gas peddle to get fuel up into the carb. Now, probably not a carb issue - probably more of a fuel pump issue. If its a restart it will fire instantly.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Steve: pumping the pedal will have no effect on how quickly fuel reaches the carb float chamber. If you have to pump it to get started (squirting raw gas into the venturis) your choke is probably not operating. It should start from cold within 2 or 3 seconds with the choke out. I can't imagine any way the float chamber would be empty unless you have a leak, in which case you would have a distinct smell of gas. More likely you have either a fuel line blockage or a faulty pump.

Another thing to check is whether the choke/throttle interconnect is adjusted correctly. If it doesn't open the throttle enough, or at all, when you operate the choke the engine will not fire because it doesn't have enough throttle. I have mine adjusted so that after the initial full choke to get started, by backing the knob in slowly I reach a point where it is simply holding the throttle open with little or no choke enrichment, to speed-up warming up.

burgy711

Donation Time
Another thing to check is whether the choke/throttle interconnect is adjusted correctly. If it doesn't open the throttle enough, or at all, when you operate the choke the engine will not fire because it doesn't have enough throttle. I have mine adjusted so that after the initial full choke to get started, by backing the knob in slowly I reach a point where it is simply holding the throttle open with little or no choke enrichment, to speed-up warming up.

So where do I find additional information on this adjustment. The fuel pump is a new re-build by a trusted mechanic - I doubt it is the problem - the Carb was rebuilt by another trusted mechanic - I doubt it is the problem - the installation of carb and choke was done by me - A NOT SO TRUSTED MECHANIC - the tune up - again by me.... so not to be trusted...........

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a weber on my Alpine and it does work well. I was wondering if you experience the same thing I do though on first start. With the original mechanical fuel pump it takes a long time to get fuel to the carburetor. I can crank on the starter for a full minute pumping the gas peddle to get fuel up into the carb. Now, probably not a carb issue - probably more of a fuel pump issue. If its a restart it will fire instantly.

By "first start" do you mean in the morning after the car has sat overnight, or after its been sitting for a week or so? I have the same problem if the car has been sitting (a quick shot of starting fluid is much easier and cleaner than reaching in and using the fuel pump primer) for a week or so, but its fine when it is driven regularily.

burgy711

Donation Time
Yes, after sitting for a week or more......... generally day to day it's seems fine but to be honest I'm still trying to work out the kinks so I can drive it more daily...(see more brake issues)... Expedition vs Sunbeam...... at these gas prices - it's not a difficult decision. I could drive the Tiger but it gets about the same mileage as the Expedition.......1000% more fun factor per mile though! :)

I also have to adjust my oil cooler lines so I can get to the manual pump trigger easier too.

Nickodell

Donation Time

So where do I find additional information on this adjustment.

If you look at the carb where the choke cable operates, there is a "fast idle cam," which opens the throttle as you pull out the choke. It works via a link which is vertical and has two bends in it. The method's a bit crude, but you alter the angle of one of the bends with two sets of pliers, changing the angle slightly. As you do you'll also change the rate at which the choke opens the throttle. Do it in small stages.

A

alpineiv

Just my two cents worth. I'm running a 28/36 Weber on my 1725. When I rebuilt the engine, I had the carb completely rebuilt as well. I used the jet sizes recommended in the special tuning section of Chris McGovern's book "Alpine the Classic Sunbeam" ( page 154 ). That was 5 years ago, and I haven't touched it since, not once. It starts first time every time, hot or cold, never misses a beat.

Brian.

dhambrick147

Donation Time
My thoughts exactly. More fun = big grins, big grins = bugs on teeth..:D
I have had my Weber for almost a year, though do not get it out enough.. Runs like a top. I went to a cable linkage for smoooothness.
CHuck

I have the weber set up but looking for specific instructions for the cable and linkage set up? Is there a spot that has a play by play insrtuction on the linkage hook up?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow,
Thank for all the input. I was away from my computer for 1 day and look what happens.
I am going to install a Weber. Audios Solex.
Yesterday I had the huge dilemma of whether I should tork the Alpine engine head or take my kids fishing.
We caught 4 walleyes, three sunfish. We also threw back a dozen or so rock bass.
Thanks again

greetings from South Dakota:

I have two Alpines, both have Weber 32/36 carbs. They really are an "install and forget" setup. One is on a Series V,1725 engine with a 5 speed. The other is on a Series IV with a 1725 that is hooked up to a BW automatic.
The tricky part on the automatic was to hook up the kick down cable so that the tranny operates correctly.

Walleye fishing with your kids is a good thing! Walleye fishing in Minnesota is also a good thing. Walleye fishing on the Missouri River in South Dakota is even better!:)

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Cable linkage?

I have the weber set up but looking for specific instructions for the cable and linkage set up? Is there a spot that has a play by play instruction on the linkage hook up?

I do not think there is a specific spot, just about every one makes their own "do".
I kind of had to make my own. When I first installed the unit the "linkage JUST would not figure" I went to a Toyota junk yard and purchased two different sized cables and mountings. With the of course deal if one did not work I could bring it back.
I modified the foot feed fitting AT the foot feed under, to hook the cable. After seeing how much cable was needed to make the curve. Then welded the bracket to the support bar so the "B" nuts would hold the cable in line with the linkage system.
A very important point is to NOT have the cable hooked up while setting the carb.
If you wish I can send pics
Chuck

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
There is so many walleyes in Lake Blue Ridge, Georgia the DNR raised the limit from 8 to 15. I have a French made Weber, it was on the car when I bought it in 1999, still havent have to do much with it, even when I went from a 1592 to a 1725. What can I say, I love it.
greetings from South Dakota:

I have two Alpines, both have Weber 32/36 carbs. They really are an "install and forget" setup. One is on a Series V,1725 engine with a 5 speed. The other is on a Series IV with a 1725 that is hooked up to a BW automatic.
The tricky part on the automatic was to hook up the kick down cable so that the tranny operates correctly.

Walleye fishing with your kids is a good thing! Walleye fishing in Minnesota is also a good thing. Walleye fishing on the Missouri River in South Dakota is even better!:)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have a French made Weber, it was on the car when I bought it in 1999, still havent have to do much with it, even when I went from a 1592 to a 1725. What can I say, I love it.

You mean a solex right?

To my knowledge, weber has never manufactured carbs in France, though solex is/was a french company.

Webers used to be made in Bologna Italy, but production moved to Spain after Magneto Marelli determined that carburettors were a low profit product.

Spanish webers are not nearly the quality of the italian vintage units.

RootesRich

Donation Time
You mean a solex right?

To my knowledge, weber has never manufactured carbs in France, though solex is/was a french company.

Webers used to be made in Bologna Italy, but production moved to Spain after Magneto Marelli determined that carburettors were a low profit product.

Spanish webers are not nearly the quality of the italian vintage units.

Bob's got a DGR. IIRC it was made in Italy.