• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modified Husky

I

impster

Greetings all,

We have all seen severely modified Huskies with big block Chevies, tubbed rear wheel wells, etc. That doesn't do anything for me as I prefer a classic to appear relatively stock. I have owned a number of Rootes products over the years and though now "Roote-less", would like to have one more. Having always wanted a Husky, I intend to purchase one with the intent of creating a fair weather daily driver.

My plan is to upgrade seats, add AC, install Superlite wheels, possibly upgrade the brakes, and add a trailer hitch (yes, I know that last one is bit out there but that is my plan). My quandary is with the drivetrain. I have long dreamed of doing this project so that it appears as a factory Tiger. But as Tiger parts and cars have skyrocketed the last few years, that idea is slowly dying. But I still think it would be cool to open the hood and see the proper Tiger air cleaner, fender braces, etc inside a Husky.

Therefore, my question(s):
Has anyone modified a Husky in a "subtle" manner? If so, what did you install for drivetrain? If a V8, what rear axle? I would prefer to keep the wheel bolt pattern stock so that I can use an Alpine V cross member in front and have a matching rear bolt pattern. But that leads to the question of: If installing a V8, then what steering rack to install. Then that leads to the question of what steering arms to use with the rack? ?????? Someone must have either done this before or at least given it some thought.

I realize most folks here are more familiar with the 2.8L conversion. I had one myself years ago and thought it made for a great car. However, I truly do intend to use my Husky for occasional towing and want a little more beef under the hood. I now drive a TR8 and have grown addicted to that V8 rumble.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tony-I just bought a Husky but don't plan on putting a V-8 in it, I will keep it all Rootes. Here is a link to a guy that has put in a V-8 and it really looks good! http://www.dougscars.com/hillman.html
Good luck with your project-now you have to find a Husky. Keep us posted! Eric

Jim E

Donation Time
Think you need to talk to Chuck about how he modifies the Alpine cross member to accept Mustang II stuff for V8 conversions. Would think a narrowed 8 inch Ford rear end would be the ticket that or a Tiger unit.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Jim
How are you?
My you have been busy the last few minutes.Funny you should mention me and my modifications just now.I have started another front end and at the point where the mustang shock towers are welded in place with some metal removed.Its a slow job in regards to time to work on this but I have all winter.

Tony
Yes it has been done in regards to the front end.You can use Mustang II spindles with out much work.Thsi still does not leave much room to adjust castor and or camber.It can be done providing you have time to play a bit.I bought one of those castor camber tools.it works pretty good.You would still need to modify the crossmember to accept the Mustang II rack and pinion.This is where you need some welding and metal working skills
Feel free to contact me.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Greetings all,

We have all seen severely modified Huskies with big block Chevies, tubbed rear wheel wells, etc. That doesn't do anything for me as I prefer a classic to appear relatively stock. I have owned a number of Rootes products over the years and though now "Roote-less", would like to have one more. Having always wanted a Husky, I intend to purchase one with the intent of creating a fair weather daily driver.

My plan is to upgrade seats, add AC, install Superlite wheels, possibly upgrade the brakes, and add a trailer hitch (yes, I know that last one is bit out there but that is my plan). My quandary is with the drivetrain. I have long dreamed of doing this project so that it appears as a factory Tiger. But as Tiger parts and cars have skyrocketed the last few years, that idea is slowly dying. But I still think it would be cool to open the hood and see the proper Tiger air cleaner, fender braces, etc inside a Husky.

Therefore, my question(s):
Has anyone modified a Husky in a "subtle" manner? If so, what did you install for drivetrain? If a V8, what rear axle? I would prefer to keep the wheel bolt pattern stock so that I can use an Alpine V cross member in front and have a matching rear bolt pattern. But that leads to the question of: If installing a V8, then what steering rack to install. Then that leads to the question of what steering arms to use with the rack? ?????? Someone must have either done this before or at least given it some thought.

I realize most folks here are more familiar with the 2.8L conversion. I had one myself years ago and thought it made for a great car. However, I truly do intend to use my Husky for occasional towing and want a little more beef under the hood. I now drive a TR8 and have grown addicted to that V8 rumble.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

Good luck if you try to do this mod. It has been done as shown in the link. I personally would not attempt this mod for several reasons. The first of which is that the suspension and brakes are not capable of keeping up with a good 1725, much less a v8. Second, the body architecture is nowhere near as stiff as an Alpine's since the Husky is lacking the cowl braces and the underbody x-brace (the roof does not make up the difference). Lastly, if you notice in the link where the Tiger trans tunnel did not line up with the Husky firewall, then you will understand that the Husky's front sheet metal is layed out to accommodate an engine placement that is about 3.5 inches further forward of an Alpine's. You will end up with more intrusion into the passenger compartment to place the engine. It all adds up to the Husky is not an Alpine. Dropping in a v8 will not make it into a cousin of a Tiger, just another Husky with a shoehorned v8. One more note, unless you are willing to modify the wheelwells, then 5.0-5.5 x 15 is probably the largest rim the Husky can wear. And that is with 4.0 inches of backspace.

dlyle123

Donation Time
Tony, I'm the owner of the V8 Husky and would be glad to answer any questions you might have about the V8 conversion in my car.

One thing I can comment on is the difference in sheetmetal in the Husky vs. Tiger. The Husky engine compartment is more spacious than a Tiger. You'll have more room in the front for a radiator and fan. You can even use a Maverick fan and not have to cut it up to get it to clear the steering rack. There are no hood clearance problems either so you can use a high rise manifold and air cleaner. On my car I modified the fender braces. I removed the square Husky braces and used original Tiger braces. You might not need to do this but I was looking to make it look as much like a Tiger as possible.

As for intrusion in to the passenger compartment I think Husky drvr might have his measurements reversed. I seem to remember that the Husky firewall was approximately three inches further forward than an Alpine. This means that the Tiger transmission tunnel I used is in the same spot as would be on an Alpine/Tiger and that I had to add three inches to the front of the tunnel to get it to meet the firewall. It's been a while so my memory could be a little cloudy, but I can tell you the engine is not protruding in to the passenger compartment. Now the 392 Hemi I'm putting in to another Husky...that will intrude in to the front seat area:)

If anyone wants more info on this swap feel free to contact me. This swap when done right makes a really nice driver. When I was doing this originally I came across a lot of skeptics. After letting them drive the car they all changed their tune and became supporters. Bofore putting in the V8 I had originally swapped in a 1725 so I can share info on that too if you need it.

The 392 Husky I'm doing is getting a Heidts IFS from a Mustang so I may be able to comment more on that swap in the near future.

Thanks, Doug