• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Missing SAL plate. What's my number???

forrest39

Donation Time
Just bought a '67 SV that has the ID plate, but no SAL plate. Any idea of where I might be able to find out what my SAL number would have been? The reg number is B395010578.
Cheers, -Kevin

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Forrest, I don't think there is any way to correlate your reg number with the SAL number. The B395xxxxxx number should be your VIN number. You should also find that number stamped on your engine block- on a flat, sloped area above the fuel pump. If that number does not match, then you have a replaced engine- no big deal.

You might find it useful to read this section of this SAOCA site:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=83

By the way, color code 88 is Forrest Green and code 39 is Carnival Red. Strange to have a forum name Forrest 39 ;)

Welcome .

Tom

forrest39

Donation Time
Thanks for that Tom,

The engine does have the same number as the VIN. I can't seem to find any images of what a SV SAL number would look like or what a ballpark number might be. If anybody has any images they could post I would appreciate it!

Cheers! -Kevin

Ironically I had a paint code 86 hunter green Alpine in college. I wanted to convert it to a Tiger but didn't want to destroy it as it was in such original condition some sold it. 25 years later I have found an Alpine (much assembly required) that is worthy of a V8. I'm just not smart enough to go the V6 route.

Forrest is an old nickname and 39 is my lucky number so no correlation in the Sunbeam world!

RootesRich

Donation Time
Kevin,
It does not appear that the SAL number was in any chronological order in regards to VIN numbers. Therefore, you will not be able to deduce the SAL number. Take a look at the Registry tab at the top of the screen and see what I mean.

The only option I know of is to contact the Rootes Archive Center in the UK and see if they have a record of the SAL number based on your VIN. Most likely you will have to pay them for this information. (EDIT: I see Steve beat me to the post by a minute)

On the SV's, the SAL number was stamped on a thin sheet of metal and located on the pax side of the engine cowl. You may still see the rivet holes if they have not been filled during a respray, etc.

I'm sure someone will post a pic of a SV SAL plate as I'm unable to. My pre-production SV did not come with a SAL number and like you, my late SV is missing it. I still have the rivet holes though.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I assume the SAL numbers were at least in approximately sequential order. So this may help. My VIN # is B395008939 and my SAL # is SAL607971 , and that's how the number is embossed on the plate which is about 4" long and about 7/16" wide with rounded ends. Maybe a few other guys can post their numbers ( both VIN and SAL) and we can see how closely they track. Maybe you could then come up with a good guess for your SAL number.

I'll be interested to see how close they track.

Tom

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
25 years later I have found an Alpine (much assembly required) that is worthy of a V8. I'm just not smart enough to go the V6 route.

Kevin: I don't want to insult your intelligence, but for the record, I feel compelled to point out that going the V6 route is infinity easier and more manageable than the V8 route. A little surfing on this site will tell you more than you could ever want to know, but the factory did a considerable amount of brain surgery to make the V8 fit and many Alpines have been hopelessly ruined in an attempt to duplicate that work. Putting in a V6 is like pulling out a splinter in comparison.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think he was saying tongue in cheek.. that he knows the V6 is easier... but is going down the V8 path anyway :)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, Jim, So how about posting your VIN and SAL numbers?

(edit) Duh, never mind. I now see that the registry includes both VIN and SAL. And like Greggers says, Kevin's SAL is most likely in the 609 series but hard to guess closer than that!

Tom

Last edited:

forrest39

Donation Time
Excellent feedback!

Thanks All!
I will definitely contact the Rootes Archive Center and see what turns up.
No offense taken Jim - if I were smart I would ignore that passion to have a V8 British roadster. My first Alpine was too perfect to ruin so I sold it rather than cutting it. I have found a project Alpine that's close enough to stock to make work for a V8 conversion, but fairly far off to restore to original.
There's no doubt in my mind that the smart money would go into a V6 and it would probably out handle a V8 if done properly.
But... I know a Tiger is out of my reach. I'm not getting any younger and my bride has given me the nod to build my dream car. I have absolute confidence in my abilities to do so and with the advice and support that I have received so far from various groups in the Sunbeam community I know I can do it!
Sorry for the long-winded-ness... I'm gonna be up all night and started into the monster drink a little early!
Cheers, -Kevin

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, I'm not certain where you are located, but, you should try and make it to one or more of the Sunbeam or ABFM car shows this Summer/Fall. Since this is the 50th anniversary year for the first production Tiger, most likely there will be numerous Tigers at these shows. Nothing like face to face conversations with a Tiger or Algers (Alpine conversion with a V8) owner to gain considerable understandings for your dream project. Also, you will have many personalized Tiger examples for photo opportunities.

At the top of the SAOCA site there are two great Sunbeam/Rootes shows with links: Sunbeams International VI and United XXXIII.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I've read that the SAL's and VIN plates were attached at different stages of production, which is why the last five numbers almost always differ. But if you compare the two numbers on any one car on the SV registry, as production progressed, the numbers steadily diverge, with the SAL's falling behind. It looks as if HRO (home market) cars were the main, if not sole reason, since they appear to have been assigned a completely different range of SAL numbers. If that's the case, then home market SV's can be estimated by simply looking at the final 'spread' between VIN and SAL at the end of production, or about 2,800.

And who is it that claims a SV VIN ending in ...19314 ?!?

forrest39

Donation Time
That's an excellent idea. I'm out in Northern California so it would be hard to make it to one of those, but I'll keep it in mind as the date approaches. Hopefully there will be some type of event on the west coast too!

Cheers, -Kevin

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
For the record

I think it better not to have the SAL "if you do not know for sure what it is supposed to be", rather than to "make one up", Which will eventually confuse the issue even more.

As Hillary says "What difference does it make"?

forrest39

Donation Time
I think it better not to have the SAL "if you do not know for sure what it is supposed to be", rather than to "make one up", Which will eventually confuse the issue even more.

As Hillary says "What difference does it make"?

I couldn't agree more. I thought it would be one of the parts about the car that I would like to have correct. If I can't determine the actual SAL number, I will not make one up.

I finally squared things away with the DMV today. The title was missing and the last owner could not be determined. A royal PITA to endure, but finally concluded.

Cheers, -Kevin

forrest39

Donation Time
I have some early Alpine V SAL number plates if you just need one.:cool:

Thanks George,
Are they about the size that Tom describes?
Even if I can't find the correct SAL number, I'll just put a blank one there in the event I can find history of it somehow.

Cheers, -Kevin