• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

miracle

Nickodell

Donation Time
Incredible. I hope he plays the lottery every day for the rest of his life.

Best guesses? Unmodified pitot heads (like the Atlantic crash, also an Airbus), out of fuel or - the #1 airliner accident - CFIT. Landing short of the threshhold again.

skywords

Donation Time
They have had some un-commanded pitch problems that so far have only happened at altitude but who knows. I am going with fuel starvation considering the duration of the flight. My Dad had a 727 almost out of fuel because of mismanagement and a go around called by the tower coupled with a lengthy hold. He said the FE was literally crying

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are so many people climbing all over that wreckage, and flinging stuff about and stomping it down, that finding clean evidence beyond what is given on the FDR & FVR will be pretty unlikely. Scene control is clearly not their long suit.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I read somewhere that he joins 30 some odd others as the lone survivor of an airliner crash.

skywords

Donation Time
The poor little fella looks very sedated. A Dutch newspaper says he is likely to be a nine year old that was traveling on safari with his parents and brothers. I pity the person who has to tell him his family has perished in the crash. I hope he has other family that can get to Tripoli to comfort him. Life is not fair.

skywords

Donation Time
There are so many people climbing all over that wreckage, and flinging stuff about and stomping it down, that finding clean evidence beyond what is given on the FDR & FVR will be pretty unlikely. Scene control is clearly not their long suit.

I had the same thought. In one video a man picks up the FDR and taps it on the tarp once as if to remove some dirt. :eek:

I have not ruled out terrorism and I think they have ruled it out a bit to soon.

Nickodell

Donation Time
During the 1943 Dams raid, the Lancaster piloted by "Hoppy" Hopgood was hit by antiaircraf fire and the bouncing bomb was released too late, leaping over the dam's parapet and exploding on the power station below, just as Hopgood's plane was over it. The crws in the rest of the planes watched in horror as the Lanc struggled to gain height, streaming a plume of flame behind it. As it went lower and lower, the rear gunner, Tony Burcher, saw the ground approaching and heard Hopgood scream "For Christ's sake get out!" and immediately after this the plane blew up. Burcher was flung out of the plane, and woke up under a starry night, the sole survivor.

Taken to a local police station by the Germans, he asked for water. "You want water?" asked a captain. "You English bastards, because of you there is no drinking water." Burcher slipped into unconsciousness with a smile, knowing that at least the Mohne dam had been breached.

For some riveting accounts of aircrew who have been blown out of, or jumped from stricken planes at altitude, without parachutes (often to escape death by fire) and survived by landing in thick fir trees, deep snow banks etc., read Escape to Danger by Paul Brickhill (the same author who wrote The Dam Busters)