• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Minxrod anti-roll

Hotrodhillman

Donation Time
Minxrod has a lot of body roll and understeer. It has an original 5/8” roll bar that is not secured at the frame. I improved my Nash Metropolitan from unacceptable to inadequate with front and rear anti-roll bars. I had much better results on my Morris Minor. I am thinking of fabricating mounts to secure the original front bar to the frame. Also, I may be able to use an aftermarket rear bar. I like a firm ride. Has anyone done this? I welcome feedback.

What brand of shocks do you recommend?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Minxrod has a lot of body roll and understeer. It has an original 5/8” roll bar that is not secured at the frame. I improved my Nash Metropolitan from unacceptable to inadequate with front and rear anti-roll bars. I had much better results on my Morris Minor. I am thinking of fabricating mounts to secure the original front bar to the frame. Also, I may be able to use an aftermarket rear bar. I like a firm ride. Has anyone done this? I welcome feedback.

What brand of shocks do you recommend?

If you understand how the original bar works, you will know why its a bad idea to link the bar to the chassis as in conventional setups.

The way the stock bar setup works is that it uses the angles of the lower control arms to rotate the bar assembly on the angle that the two
lower control arms intersect at.
If you link the bar to its chassis, the bar will no longer rotate in its LCA mounting bushes and it will put a great deal of local stress between the inner mounts and the new chassis link mounts.
It will stiffen the hell out of the front suspension (adding spring rate) but not really help the torsion effect.

The stresses will likley break the bar and will hurt the LCA bar bushings.
Wont do any favors for the lower fulcrum pins as they will also be under a great deal more stress through the LCA bushings .

If you want to go with a conventional bar setup, you must not use the stock bar bushings, you will need to add a linkage to the LCA (heim or rubber joint).

Does your Minx have the same bar as an alpine?
Sunbeam Specialties sells (or at least used to) a 3/4 inch bar made by StanBar designed for the SI to SIII.
The later alpines and Tigers also have a 7/8 bar available.

Hotrodhillman

Donation Time
Thank you for your feedback. I really did not want to weld on the crossmember. I will ask SS about the front bars. What do you think about a rear anti-roll bar?