• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Microcell Seats and Jump Seat Cushions VG

atallamcs

Donation Time
When was the last time you saw a pair of these rare seats. This pair is in near perfect condition as you can see from the pictures. Even the jump seat cushions are beautiful. Done in black with red piping. These were an option in Harringtons but would look great in an Alpine. Not cheap, so serious only by pm or email, (atallamcs@aol.com). Consider, if you could find a set like this and then have them covered to this quality, what would that cost? Please ask questions.
Bill

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
And here's what they look like in my Series 3! Yes, I ditched the factory seats for these and they look great. Took a 2 hour drive last weekend with them and they're very comfortable.

Very glad I did it, and it will probably spur me to replace the dried and crumbling factory mats with full carpeting, a wood steering wheel, and maybe even some minilites. I know, I've gone completely bonkers....;)

Attachments

• 1-3928-parts 0022.jpg
    1-3928-parts 0022.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 69

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Very glad I did it, and it will probably spur me to replace the dried and crumbling factory mats with full carpeting, a wood steering wheel, and maybe even some minilites. I know, I've gone completely bonkers....;)

Whoa there, Scotty. Next thing you know you'll be talking about dropping a V6 in it. Need I remind you of the secret Series 3 society?

Now Mr. Stone, you'll recall from the last forum there is a secret Series 3 society that must approve all Series 3 purchases. We wish to ensure that these beautiful cars don't fall into the "wrong" hands. May I inquire as to your intentions sir concerning the car, and particularly its drivetrain? ;)

In addition to approving all purchases, we also must approve all non stock modifications. In accordance with the society's bylaws, your non-conforming seats must be surrendered while the elders debate said modification. Please remove those beautiful seats and send them to St. Louis for safe-keeping. We should have a decision on their use in your car eventually.

65beam

Donation Time
seats

the big advantage i have found with these seats is that you gain leg room. you set closer to the package tray than with regular seats.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Whoa there, Scotty. Next thing you know you'll be talking about dropping a V6 in it. Need I remind you of the secret Series 3 society?

In addition to approving all purchases, we also must approve all non stock modifications. In accordance with the society's bylaws, your non-conforming seats must be surrendered while the elders debate said modification. Please remove those beautiful seats and send them to St. Louis for safe-keeping. We should have a decision on their use in your car eventually.

Curse you people and your long memory! :)

Jim, you missed the last meeting of the secret society. We voted that "period correct" mods are now acceptable which still allows us to look down our noses at you V6 lot. :rolleyes:

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
the big advantage i have found with these seats is that you gain leg room. you set closer to the package tray than with regular seats.

Yes, and you gain great leg SUPPORT too. The only critque is I wish the back was a bit taller, but all in all a great seat.

I'll be insalling the back seat pads too once I correct the snaps. Whoever installed them did it backwards - any easy fix.

65beam

Donation Time
seats

scott,
when we bought the moonstone lemans way back in 1989 it had a set of matching headrests that fastened to the back of the seat by way of large thumb screws to a bracket mounted to the seat frame. the way they were set it was like having high back seats. they're somewhere in the attic.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
scott,
when we bought the moonstone lemans way back in 1989 it had a set of matching headrests that fastened to the back of the seat by way of large thumb screws to a bracket mounted to the seat frame. the way they were set it was like having high back seats. they're somewhere in the attic.

Now Bob, you can't just dangle a carrot like that without at least producing pictures. :)

65beam

Donation Time
seats

scott,
jean is fortunate that i can type this message on this 4 week old piece of junk . it has been in the shop twice due to prblems with windows 7 not working and now i found that i can't load and save any photos. several things have quit working again. in my younger days it would have been in many pieces by this time. if the shop ever gets it working i'll see what i can do about photos.that is if i remember to go to the attic to look for them and i hope they weren't pitched.

alpine_64

Donation Time
microcell head rests

The works Tigers used microcell headrests and they were also optional on the S3 alpines when they moved to the microcell seats.. might be a similar system to the early bucket seat setup:

click for larger images;

alpine_64

Donation Time
When you say " early bucket seat set up", are you referring to the Series I and II?

No, i;m not aware of headrests available for the stock Alpine SI/II seats. I am reffering to the optional microcell buckets available for SII via the special tunning depatrment. They were also available to other manufacturers and possibly usedthe similar headrests to the later style as per the photos. Of note there were 2 types of the microcell bucket, a rounded top and a more square toped backrest.

65beam

Donation Time
seats

michael,
way back when these were new cars, there were many aftermarket items available by mail order thru such places as auto world or thru the import parts stores such as bap geon and others. amco and mg mitten made a lot of after market items that could be used on all imports. looking at my 1969 autoworld catalog i found that the cost of a headrest was 12.95. it fit everything . that was a lot of money for that time but dealer items or rootes items were just too costly to buy and that's why they are so rare today. even though the moonstone car was owned by the dealer until 1968, it had several aftermarket items when it was sold to the owner i bought it from. they were on it when we bought it and i would guess that the headrest was also aftermarket.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bob,

I am very aware of the aftermarket items available in period, and those specifically produced for alpines and tigers. I have quite a collection of NOS after market items in my stash.

The headrests/restraints in the pictures I posted are the microcell headrests that were available to go on the microcell seats. These wer used in the works rally tigers and also appear in a Uk factory road test of the S3, the first sunbeam to use those microcell seats. As a side note many of the commer vans also used the microcell seats comon to the alpine/tiger.

i have seen microcell and other branded headrests that were avilable to fit most cars seats, they used a sprung system that was covered in vynil that slipped over the top of the seats and required no drilling.. but these are head rests.. they would probably offer no protection in a shunt, just a place to rest your head while driving. Largely i find them a moot point anyway.. headrests on any of the factory seats would be useless to me as they wont even make my shoulders.

65beam

Donation Time
seats

michael,
i thought we were talking about the microcell seats used in the harrington lemans. you're talking about later seats used in later cars. quite a difference in the construction and mounting points of the two frames.