• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Miata Engine and tranny swap

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Miata engine

Here here Eric,
It is a little sad to take a thread and turn it upside down.
I would love to know how a Miata engine and tranny would work in an Alpine.
I had a Miata and it was a blast, the engine was great just spunky enough. There are also a good number of cool things that you can do to a Miata engine (easy bolt on kits and such). My SIV need an engine and I would love to know how it would work.
If someone has some engine dims I would like to see how things would fit.
Sure it may not be the dark side but it could be dark brown.:eek:
Regards,
Andrew

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Thanks to the writers here in Hollywood I am out of work on this annual run up to the holidays so maybe on Monday I'll go over to one of the places nearby and measure a few of these prospective "front clip" donors.

I'll take some pix and post some info on the web as soon as I am able.

By the way to all those on the "Dark Side" I truly do appreciate what your after with what you have done with your cars as I have often thought that when I grenade my 1600cc engine (which I am bound to do sooner or later with the way I drive) I might go down the V6 route. I'm just thinking that a modern 4 is more in the original spirit of my alpine. If I wanted a tiger I would sell my Alpine and buy one.

Respectfully.

Eric

'62 SerII

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
A guy in my town has a TR2 powered by a 9? Saturn 4 and a GM 5-speed. Says the engine/ trans is a bolt up, shifter position is close to original.. Nice car, nice job. Picture from installation, don't have a one of the running car.

Attachments

• tr.jpg
    tr.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 74

skywords

Donation Time
Measure measure measure. I am doing a Quad four, these jobs are a real time sink and that is the most important measurement you need to take (how much time do you have?) I have taken a job that has slowed my progress and regret it. Best of luck !

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
A guy in my town has a TR2 powered by a 9? Saturn 4 and a GM 5-speed. Says the engine/ trans is a bolt up, shifter position is close to original.. Nice car, nice job. Picture from installation, don't have a one of the running car.

Hillman,

I would appreciate it if you get a chance to find out more specific details and can post them.

Just curious, thanks,

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a bit more detail on the TR2. Cut and pasted from a email from the owner.

I used a 1992 -1994 throtle body injected engine from a SL1 and an autonmatic trans computer I prefer the automatic computer the newer ones p to 1999 will work as well with a little work I had to relocate te alternator , but not a real big Job The bellhousing fits all 2.8 and 2.5 engines for rear wheel drive chev S-10 trucks as well as 2.8 litre camaros The top 2 bolts fit well and 3/8 in must be filles off the end of the input shaft A bracket is requireed on the bottom 2 bolts but I can supply a template or a brkt if you need I used a t-5 trans from a camaro or s-10 , the shifter housing is from a camaro to get the shifter in the correct location a chevette transmission would work as well as it is a t-5 also I used the saturn pressure plate and flywhell with an 8.5" clutch disc from a chevette Machined a pilot bushing for the saturn engine as it does not come with one on the front drive application I built the motor mounts to fit the original triumph mounting holes and original mount The rear trans mount is s-10 with a bracket to fit the original triumph holes as well Removed all unessary wires from the computer put a switch in for park or drive which allows for rpm limits of 4000 In park and 6000 in drive I have included pics before and after Top speed in 4th is doudle the speed limit and 5th gives 2200 rpm at 100 kmh fuel mileage is 40 mpg and better if at 120kmh,, 100kmh comes up in 7-8 secs depending in traction engine only weighs 175 pounds complette and trans is 65 pounds and the total with clucth and all is still less than 280 pounds
hope this helps

Brian S TR2

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, for sure his exhaust would not work on an Alpine, but that is no big deal. That leaves the intake manifold and starter. Do you have any photos of the intake side?

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

Sorry, no intake side pictures. I may run into Brian in the next week or so and will ask if he has any.

Al