• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MGB or Sunbeam Alpine?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ok, I haven't seen this lately. As everyone here must know, I'm a diehard Alpine guy. Every once and a while, I think about getting an MGB. So I'm throwing this out here for discussion among other Alpine guys.

Here are my thoughts in no particular order. Just my opinions. Happy to have people vehemently disagree!
  • Sometimes I think the MGB looks lower, wider, stronger upfront, cleaner brake light treatment, nicer 14" wires, and as a result a sportier looking car.
  • Most of the time, I like the smooth lines of the Alpine better.
  • The fins are unique and fun - and now I like the pointy fins even more than flat fins - but sometimes they are a bit quirky and make the car seem narrow and not as sporty as the tighter MG (sometimes, and only from certain angles).
  • I don't like the interior of the MG. The Alpine is way better.
  • The MG has a bigger engine, more torque, and FAR more go fast part options.
  • I've always always loved TCs and TDs - and grew up reading a book called the Red Car, which created that love.
  • Even though the MG engine may be bigger, I've always thought it was gruffer and not as smooth and revvy as the Alpine. Some people like the gruffness. I've preferred the Alpine smoothness. But I suspect if I regularly drove an MG, I'd come to like it.
  • I like the lower MGB windshield.
  • Alpines have better seats.
  • The Alpine has been considered "a hairdresser's car" or "chick car." The MGB comes across more masculine.
Ok, that's it. I'm not now or ever buying an MGB - maybe a TC or TD one day. But, it's fun to chat about it.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, one plus and one minus with your list.

minus- MGB's have a front suspension that is "different" than most cars.

plus+ MGB's have a larger engine bay and R&P steering allowing easier drivetrain swaps.

Different things appeal to different folks.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Having worked on and driven both, there really is no comparison between an Alpine and an MGB. Yes, on the surface they
look like they compete, but if you look to build quality and attention to detail the Alpine wins hands down.

Lever shocks and a cheaper "parts bin" build quality makes the B pale in comparison. Not to mention tiny doors and a
cramped cabin, and I agree Jay, a pretty basic and plasticky interior.

I do, however, like the way the engine sounds on the MG. It does sound a bit more sporty. I guess that's one thing you
get when you have a factory supported race team.

Cheers!
Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jay.. Get 14x6 wires for your alpine, throw on 195/60/14s, lower front .... All your problems solved.....

oh..and bore and stroke a 1725 to 2120 ...

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I like the Sunbeams way more, add better wheels, tires and lower them down and they are way more manly. I like having the only Sunbeam at most shows, and if one more Sunbeam shows up it will be different then mine. MGs have become vanilla, there are just the many of them and they all look the same.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Yes, I kind of think of the MGB as the Miata of its time. Too many of them, and many were purchased by people who didn't really appreciate them as sports cars - but were simply following the crowd that it was supposed to be the car to get. And no offense to your fantastic car or to all of the people who bought Miatas, I'm not a huge fan of the driving feel of the Miata - too tinny to me.

And FWIW, my Alpine is around 1880 cc and my front is lowered! So I'm already there.

Still, aesthetically, sometimes I really like the wider, lower, tighter look of the B.

And one funny thing. When the rubber bumper Bs came out, I HATED them. Now, decades of rounded bumpers later, I actually appreciate that they did a pretty darn good job of capturing the lines of the car with those bumpers - better than many other companies did for a very long time. I still prefer the chrome bumper cars. But, I now don't hate the rubber bumper ones.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow I got a free MGB and found the old adage is true there is no such thing as a free car. Lots more parts available as many laying about going back into the earth. Sold it on considering the time $ and low upside expectation.
Even the Tiger was marketed to women, "How much can Karen take ." as a tag line from a Tiger full page ad. What they should have said is let's shove some size 6 size internals into her size 3 pants :)
I'd take a Datsun 2000 before a MGB as they work much better and are way more reliable. " All the best stuff is made in Japan." Marty Mc Fly, Back to the future. But to stick with the question I'd say Alpine S3 nice fins and much less of them around.

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think that all classic British cars are fun. Some like the Alpine more than others. If you have the garage space fill it up, assuming your significant other is agreeable. Working on classic British cars is my favorite hobby. It keeps my mind and hands happy. There is always something to do i.e. repair on classic British cars.
Alpiner Steve

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Jay,
The solution is simple! Alpine for top down days, MGBGT for rainy days! This has always been my plan - just need to save up enough money to cover the car and the ensuing divorce to make it happen!

TR

PS: My 15" Panasports are way cooler than those 14" MG wheels!

65beam

Donation Time
Jay,
The solution is simple! Alpine for top down days, MGBGT for rainy days! This has always been my plan - just need to save up enough money to cover the car and the ensuing divorce to make it happen!

TR

PS: My 15" Panasports are way cooler than those 14" MG wheels!
1969 Alpine GT for rainy days.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have 2 MGBs, a 79 and 80. I've driven both. I have yet to drive the Alpine. I bought it in pieces. I'm working on the 215 V8 conversion on the 79. Personally I like the styling of the Alpine better. To me the handling of the MGB reminds me of the 71 Pinto I had. Don't get me wrong the Pinto handled very well.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I fell in love with the SI back in 1959 when my Buddy Chamblain bought the first little Red one to enter the island. It was quarantined for 90 days by the 40 Thieves (The Families that ran the Island of Bermuda) until the cc was reduced to under 1200.

Then in 62 I bought me a little red & white Hillman Husky very nice for around town in Charleston,SC:) A Sunbeam Dealer put on display a few Tigers in '65 and I naturally wanted one but my pocket book was empty, just spent a wad on my '58 Impala and that 409 engine w/Hadden P's great stuff.

Took me several years to get back to the Alpine. When I retired in '79 from the USAF, I discovered a friend of mine had bought a "65 SIV while he was stationed in the UK. Drove it a few years there then back to Sumter AFB, SC where he retired, brought it home to Laurens,SC and soon put in storage. Naturally, when I spotted it and found it was my old friend Kirby I persisted in buying. That was a real deal OD & hardtop. He gave me a '65 SIV BW35 GT that was a rust bucket but the deal was I had to take it home if I wanted the Good'n:) SO you can guess what I did.

All in a matter of a few hours I was the proud owner of two Alpines.

Then, I spotted the Blue Boy in Waterloo and bought it (a three owner).

I "like-them-Sunbeams". Just Keep'em on-the-road,

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I have both. 73 MGB and 65 Alpine. Neither running, but when I retire in 21 months I will have more time to work on them. I like them both.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
MGB is lower quality and much more agricultural. Depends what experience you want from the car. Rootes always offered quality.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have owned and driven Alpines for more than 40 years. I have driven several modified MGB's and also a couple of modified TR's. I am a Sunbeam enthusiast and prefer them to the MG's and Triumphs. I suspect the TR6 would be a good car to drive, though I have yet to have that experience. I have a good friend out here in flyover country who has a couple of modified Midgets with Nissan power plants. Very nice modification and a significant upgrade in power and dependability. Sunbeams all the way for me. P

alpine_64

Donation Time
I suspect the TR6 would be a good car to drive, though I have yet to have that experience.
You better drive a good one. They make a great sound and in injected 150hp form fo well... But they are nowhere near as solid as an alpine and if you drive a tired one they handle like the wheels are on sideways