• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

metal dust and glitter in oil during breakin

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Unless scored or galled I can't imagine honing them... I'd have utilized a fine emery clothe to "clean"....

Do NOT know of oversized lifters.. Maybe someone has found a substutite replacement or perhaps modified some to fit/function.

mightyohm

Donation Time
The lifter bores were definitely not smooth to begin with on this block. They had a somewhat rough "cast" finish. I was having issues with lifter rotation so I decided to quickly run a hone through them - just a few passes with a fine hone to clean them up.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff, Thanks for that bit....

I'll try search on "oversized" Stay tuned, I'm sure you will get help...

DanR

mightyohm

Donation Time
I would like to see a better PIC of the bottom of the lifter where the most pressure is usually applied during run.

The cam lobes are of my interest also (PICs')?

For the whole system, at least to what I am seeing is failure for good lubrication...

Even the foot of the fuel pump seems to have a bit of excessive wear.

Here's some pictures of two sample lifters and a cam lobe. The wear pattern on all of the lifters and lobes look very similar.

The cam was parkerized when I had it reground, so the dark areas are where the parkerization hasn't been worn off by the lifter.

Attachments

• IMG_9234.jpg
    IMG_9234.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9235.jpg
    IMG_9235.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9240.jpg
    IMG_9240.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9229.jpg
    IMG_9229.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff, are you familiar with Delta Cams ?

They are up your way.... I've used them to build/rebuild some cams/lifters/rockerarms.

Very pleased with their work.

Might be a place to atleast make contact on the subject at hand,

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The cam and lifters look fine to me. No scoring, no pitting. The wear patterns don't look abnormal.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not being able to fully see all.... and hold in my hands, it was only a suggestion to contact Delta Cams. If Jeff were able to make contact, they might be able to see what others are not seeing (including me).

I have had some very confusing moments with the internal combustion engines since I was about 14 years old.

I do think it is contributed to some sort of oiling or not oiling situation.