• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

mercury calipers

coupe

Donation Time
I just got done installing the 76 capri calipers on the alpine. It went so easy, the only thing was to drill the calipers for the alpine pad rods with a 1/4" drill the capri rods are smaller. I ordered the 10mm to 3/8 fittings from summit and the calipers from rock auto. Not a bad exchange for around $70.00 and a couple hrs. work.
coupe

alpineracer

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just got done installing the 76 capri calipers on the alpine. It went so easy, the only thing was to drill the calipers for the alpine pad rods with a 1/4" drill the capri rods are smaller. I ordered the 10mm to 3/8 fittings from summit and the calipers from rock auto. Not a bad exchange for around $70.00 and a couple hrs. work.
coupe

Using stock Alpine rotors?

Thanks,

Eric

coupe

Donation Time
Hi Eric,
Yes stock rotors and pads, just drilled the caliper pin holes to fit the larger alpine pins. The pins for the capri are smaller and allow to much movement of the pads.
Joe

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
What's the advantage of these over the stock calipers? Weight saving?
Just curious.

65beam

Donation Time
calipers

they're new and they fit. eliminates having to rebuild your old calipers. I have a set that will be on the RHD Harrington when we get that far.

coupe

Donation Time
None, just new units. I rebuilt the old units due to sticking and leaks. It stopped the leaks but even with new pistons the left wanted to stick again after one summer. The capri does have better dust seals around the pistons that alone is a good reason for the change out for the price. Besides the years of rust in the seal groves let the seals pop out more readily and leaks on the piston seals happen easier cause they are a less tight, tell tale is when the piston goes in the bore much easier than it used to, so for the price of aprox. $30.00 each (no pads) and standard parts I did it.
Joe

craigb

Donation Time
How are the Capri calipers working for you? I did the same thing a few years ago and I must admit they work, but I am not impressed with the stopping power. I have always been concerned that I have something not quite right. Are there any adjustments to me made? I am running without a booster and maybe that's my issue, but it takes a lot of force really stop quickly.

coupe

Donation Time
Craigb, They act the same as stock. I have a new booster and notice no difference. A booster may help you but as I have heard an old saying about the alpine, ONCE YOU GET EM GOING YOU CAN'T STOP EM!! I find I can lock up the rear brakes on a panic stop but have never done so on the front, but I do have an 8" rear end and mutt ll brake system there.
Coupe

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What's the "Bore" size on your master Cylinder?

If you disconnect the Booster you need to down size the master Cylinder bore size.

At least that is what has been posted heretofor!

craigb

Donation Time
The master I have on mine is a 7/8" so it is apparently too big without the booster. So, do I get a aftermarket booster or do i TRY to find a f10 master cylinder? Are there any other double circuit masters that work since those are so hard to find?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The master I have on mine is a 7/8" so it is apparently too big without the booster. So, do I get a aftermarket booster or do i TRY to find a f10 master cylinder? Are there any other double circuit masters that work since those are so hard to find?
The '95 Tercel master that is mentioned in another thread looks like it will work. It will need an adapter to mount (it uses horizontal mounting holes) and maybe a fabricated push rod, but neither is no big deal. Be sure to specify non ABS. ABS models have 13/16" bore.

A lot 3/4" MC's have bottom outlets. They will not work. Foul the steering column. My first double circuit MC was a 3/4" from a nineties Festiva. Required a mounting adapter and fabbed push rod, but had outlets on the engine side. Not a good idea. That was with a 2.0 Pinto engine, others might be worse or better, I have no idea. In any event, there is no particular reason to use that model.

Bill

craigb

Donation Time
Bill, thanks for the help!
I have been scouring the internet and calling around for a f10 master cylinder but its a no go. I didn't see any other Trecel posts on the forum when I did a search. I imagine the firewall needs some extra bracing to handle the different mounting holes.. Has anyone made any suggestions on how to do that... cramming myself under that dash is always something I dread. (this is why my Dolphin tach is still not working!)

Has anyone suggested making an adapter that fits the master cylinder on the engine side to change the hole configuration? That method of mounting would require a longer rod of course.

agmason54

Donation Time
brake master...

Craig
You can buy a brand new 5/8 bore Lockheed brake master for $39.00 on Ebay 'buy it now' with free shipping.l got one and only had to swap the rod.
If you cant find it call me.It identical to Sl-ll
Al
330 424 0236

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dual master is safer than old single style. F10 master is in Rockauto without reservoirs for $28.79. Tilton reservoirs work, or remote from Misubishi or Nissan Quest van.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
coupe

I wonder if you'd have a part number for the 10mm to 3/8 fitting?

Hard to believe that a Mercury caliper is the exact same and will bolt right up?

My driver's side will last a couple days before sticking.

The ones I see available for the 76 Capri at O'Riley's are re-manufactured.
I guess someone that re-manufactures them for a living is going to do a better job than I can.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dual master is safer than old single style. F10 master is in Rockauto without reservoirs for $28.79. Tilton reservoirs work, or remote from Misubishi or Nissan Quest van.

The rebuilt unit is not available. Nor is the "cheap" new one. The other one is available.

Craig, the idea is to adapt the MC to the Alpine so it bolts up to the master cylinder mounting holes. Here is an example:

The bolts are 5/16" flat head Allen screws. They are tough customers, having a tensile strength greater than a Grade 8 bolt.

The countersunk holes in the above photo are for a second set of flat head Allen screws that secure the adapter to the Alpine, using the stock mounting holes. The aluminum is 1/2" thick, same as the stock Alpine MC spacer. I drill and tap the adapter for 5/16 - 18 thread, then countersink. This allows the screws to be tightened into the adapter so they will not turn as the nut is tightened.

As you can see, it is pretty easy to bolt most any MC onto the Alpine. The problem is finding a MC that is Alpine friendly.

Here the new MC is posing with the adapter.

This MC is for a mid 90's GM. It is 7/8" bore. Worked okay, but I think my application (total brake lashup front and rear) needs 13/16".

Bill

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
coupe

If you might be so kind, what fitting part am I looking for to go with these Mercury calipers?

coupe

Donation Time
fittings

Hey John, The fitting number was edd-271300 from summit. A 3/8 inverted flare to 10 mm-1.0 bubble flare. some alpine flex lines were straight 3/8 with copper crush washers, they will tighten down but are longer if you don't like that union then look for a fitting that suits your application.
coupe