• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Martel panels

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
I've been mailing to Rob Martel for "F11: Front Frame Ourigger Box", just got an answer now.
Prices have been adjusted a little upwards to $70, fair enough for good work.
Andy

Tullamore

Donation Time
I finally got my panels from him a week ago. I got stuff I didn't order and I didn't get a lot of stuff that I did. I would never mess around with ordering from him again.

If you do order from him expect the worst service you have ever seen and expect not to see your parts for a year or more.

The parts themselves did look good, too bad I didn't get what I ordered... I can take some pictures of some of the parts if anyone wants to what the quality of work looks like.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I've been mailing to Rob Martel for "F11: Front Frame Ourigger Box", just got an answer now.
Andy

You surely can find someone in Switzerland to make you one, even if it cost you more, you'd at least end up with a part.
If I were you, I'd do a search of the "old forum" using Rob Martel as your search.
After reading about his business practices, you might re-think your ordering.
Shame though as the parts are nice enough if you ever did get them.

caribbeantom

Donation Time
Thank you!

I had heard that there was some problem with service but my body shop was looking at Martel's catalog and they liked the offerings. I guess you can offer a lot and never deliver any of it. Guess I need to look at other options.
Thanks
Tom

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you restorers need floor pans, I have new front & rear sets. This is a reminder, that the floors DO NOT just drop in. Replacing the sheet metal floors is very difficult, and it takes a lot of metal forming & welding skills & facilities.
Send a PM or email to me
Jan

T

Tigger

Remove the Link!

Webmaster:
Why is there a link to Martel's site in the links section.?? It should of been removed a long time ago.

Tullamore:
Do you remeber my answer to your panel request in the beginning? and more than once I told you> "IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY, I CAN NOT HELP YOU!!" If you knew more about your Alpine, A closer look would show you that you received all that you ordered and then some.
If we had wanted more sunbeam work, we would of completed your order alot quicker, especially since you were linking up to an internet site with your project.

Skywords:
Last spring you enquired about floor pans for your Alpine. On the phone (that I paid for again) you were speechless when I told you "WE HAVE SO MUCH WORK ON OUR PLATE THAT I CAN NOT EVEN GEUSS WHEN NEW PANELS WOULD BECOME AVAILABLE"
You have thrown several nails in the coffin (they used to be knives in my back, but I recycle!) Are you a little obssesive in your postings :eek: ? It was not long after paying for your education that I turned the phone off. Instead of making comments about "suger coated" parts, why not do something positive and brag about the valence you bought from V.B. Did you take patterns off of the valence like you did to my panels you received from Sunbeam Specialties??

Scott, Jeff, Bill, and everyone else:: If you "Know It All's" only knew the clientelle I have maintained (still have my first customer, been back four times:) )and increased to (Tier One Automotive Manufacturers who knock at my Door:p ) You might understand why fabricating Alpine parts is shamed upon in my Engineering community. We understand rejecting new customer's is taboo, but once rejected, why Pout like little girls:confused: ????

Rob Martel
aka: Tigger

http://photos.yahoo.com/sunbeambob

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Scott, Jeff, Bill, and everyone else:: If you "Know It All's" only knew the clientelle I have maintained (still have my first customer, been back four times:) )and increased to (Tier One Automotive Manufacturers who knock at my Door:p ) You might understand why fabricating Alpine parts is shamed upon in my Engineering community. We understand rejecting new customer's is taboo, but once rejected, why Pout like little girls:confused: ????

Rob Martel

Rob, it's not the rejecting of customers, it is the accepting of funds and agreeing to work that just simply takes too long to deliver. If you don't like dealing with us LOWLY Alpiners, then don't.
If anything, stock up on some stuff, and then offer it. Alot of projects get thrown down the tubes due to discouragement, I just don't like to see you add to the chaos.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Better yet Rob, why not set the expectations of people a lot better than you have? If it takes 1 year to get a panel from you, publish that timeframe or make the customer ordering the part sign an agreement that they understand it will take 1 year. If they are then stupid enough to buy anything from you then they have no reason to complain, on this forum or anywhere else.

Rob you do have a horrible reputation within the Sunbeam community for poor communication and service. I don't know any business that can stay in business treating customers like that. I seriously doubt you treat your "Tier 1" customers like you do your Sunbeam customers. And if it's so beneath you to deal with us, and a shame to your engineering reputation, would you please sell the designs, molds, whatever to someone who can actually deliver the goods? The only thing you have going for you is that you put out the best panels in the business. People just need to realize that it may take a very very long time to get anything from you.

Consumers vote with their wallets - if they keep coming back despite the poor service then that's their choice. But don't be surprised when discussions about your lousy service continue on forums such as this - I would just ask that you decide if you are or are not in the business to supply Sunbeam owners with quality panels. If you are then you need to understand that people have reasonable expectations as to when they can expect their panels. Your prices aren't unreasonable for the quality of the product, but people aren't going to wait forever, nor are they going to accept poor inconsistent communication pertaining to their order.

The bottom line Rob - we need and want people like you to be part of the Sunbeam community, but it takes commitment from both sides - we need to keep you in business by ordering the parts, but you need to treat us like customers by delivering a quality product on time.

We will honor your request and remove the link to your website.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I don't know if Rob M. ships the right parts or not every time, as one poster says he didn't, but if the main complaint is turnaround time, then "BOO-HOO"!!

Rob's been fabricating quality Sunbeam panels for a long time. Since Day One, he's always had a long, long, loooong turnaround time. It's never been a secret. One poster accuses Rob of having "....a horrible reputation in the Sunbeam community," but Tiger owners have long known that Rob's heavy work schedule comes first - then the panels. Some wait (and wait) for a part that they can be reasonable sure will fit the first time, some go elsewhere. Are the Alpine owners here denying that Rob warned them ahead of time? Or did they choose not to believe him?

If Rob seems too eccentric, there's always nice, big, corporate VB. I've heard that their parts, usually delivered speedily, can be made to fit - with enough work.

Dick Sanders
Kent, WA

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know if Rob M. ships the right parts or not every time, as one poster says he didn't, but if the main complaint is turnaround time, then "BOO-HOO"!!

One poster accuses Rob of having "....a horrible reputation in the Sunbeam community," but Tiger owners have long known that Rob's heavy work schedule comes first - then the panels.

Dick Sanders
Kent, WA

Dick, that poster would be me, and you took it out of context, because the next few words are "for poor communication and service". My point was that if Rob wants to continue supplying us with panels, and we hope he does, he simply needs to COMMUNICATE to potential customers what the realistic turnaround time is and make sure that the customer is willing to wait. That means put a huge disclaimer on your website; make sure it's communicated in any telephone conversations and on work orders, etc. I guess Tiger owners can afford to let their cars sit for years waiting for Rob's panels while others just want to get their cars back on the road. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to expect to get a panel or two within their lifetime.

I think instead of us coming up with excuses for Rob we should just see what, if anything, is learned from this recent thread (seems to come up every year) and see if he changes his mode of doing business. If not, then he will continue to live on with this reputation, either deserved or otherwise.

C

carcollector

I am posting here regarding the post above from Tullamore, and Tigger’s reply, because I was involved in this situation. Tullamore is my son, and I am the person who ordered the parts from Rob Martel.

I’ve owned a Tiger for 35 years, thus creating my son’s interest in Sunbeams. He wanted a Tiger, but not being able to afford one, he had bought a Sprite and a Midget that I helped him fix up a bit. In the summer of 2005, I became aware of two unrestored Alpines at a “classic†car dealer here in Iowa that specializes in selling cars that look like they were found in pastures and back yards. We bought both, and the one that was really rusty, has been stripped and needs the panels ordered from Rob. Since then, my son’s also bought a partially-restored Tiger and a very rust-free alpine that drove into the side of a pickup truck that pulled out in front of it. So, between us, we’ve got 5 Sunbeams, all of which need sheet metal to be restored to original condition.

In the following paragraphs, I describe my experience dealing with Rob, stating only facts documented in emails between he and I. I won’t deal with him again, but others can make their own decisions. I’m only providing this to let you know what you could be in for.

I first contacted Rob by email on 11/30/05. Several emails went back and forth quickly, and on about 12/2/05, my son sent Rob a PayPal payment of $1550 for the parts that I had ordered.

In Rob’s first reply on 11/30/05, he did state that I would have to be patient with him, as he is a toolmaker in the new car industry. At the time, I did not realize the significance of Robs interpretation of “patientâ€.

I told Rob that I wanted whatever he had in stock for my order, shipped in time that I could work on the car over the Christmas to New Year holiday. On 12/23/05, Rob told me that he already had some of the parts, and that there was a chance that he might be able to finish the order by year’s end.

On 2/1/06, Rob told me that most of the order was complete, and that he could ship what he had if I wanted. I told him to not ship partial if he could have it done in 3 weeks, as I was too busy to work on the car at that time.

On 4/24/06, Rob told me that the panels were done and to expect a call from the shipper. Hearing nothing and receiving no parts, I enquired to Rob by email on 4/10/06, 4/28/06, 5/12/06, 6/8/06 and 7/26/06.

On 8/4/06, Rob finally replied, saying that he thought the order was partially shipped in April, asked me to refresh his memory about what was ordered, and said he’d try to get the order out the next week.

Again receiving nothing, I inquired by email to Rob on 8/9/06, 10/6/06 and 11/17/06. By Jan 07, I had concluded that I would never get anything from him and was thinking about where to go from there.

On 1/27/07, I got an email from Rob, stating that the panels were found with an order that he was working on last year for BMW, and that his shipper would get them shipped.

About a week later, the panels actually arrived, and we went through them to see what we had. We did not get everything we ordered, but I would estimate that we got enough parts that we didn’t order, so that we got our money’s worth, so to speak. It was just a very frustrating 14 months of waiting.

skywords

Donation Time
Webmaster:
Skywords:
Last spring you enquired about floor pans for your Alpine. On the phone (that I paid for again) you were speechless when I told you "WE HAVE SO MUCH WORK ON OUR PLATE THAT I CAN NOT EVEN GEUSS WHEN NEW PANELS WOULD BECOME AVAILABLE"
You have thrown several nails in the coffin (they used to be knives in my back, but I recycle!) Are you a little obssesive in your postings :eek: ? It was not long after paying for your education that I turned the phone off. Instead of making comments about "suger coated" parts, why not do something positive and brag about the valence you bought from V.B. Did you take patterns off of the valence like you did to my panels you received from Sunbeam Specialties??

Rob Martel

http://photos.yahoo.com/sunbeambob

Hello Rob
I think know one wishes you any ill will. Yes I enquired about your sugar coated panels and bought a set from SS only after learning from you that the lead time was high. They are your panels after all. I manufacture sheetmetal tools that are sold in catologs world wide. I don't care to retail them. You are not the only sheetmetal forming man on the planet. And sorry if you had to spend a little on the phone. Again they were your panels that I purchased.

It is my opinion that your business would be best served if you would hire people that could do some of the work for you. I have people working for me fabricating parts as complex as any I have seen in your catolog. This way you could deliver the goods in a timely manner and keep your customers satisfied. Granted you have to train them but you could end up with a well oiled machine producing parts in quanities for SS VB and Moss. You can't do it all yourself trust me. With your talent you could produce some very skilled craftsmen working in your facility like some of the greats Vignale, Allard, Pina Farina had working for them. They did not build the cars themselves and their parts were all hand crafted. Another thing your parts are too cheap for the numbers you sell. increase production and it will increase profit. You have the market by the ass (we want your parts). If my banker saw a business plan like that he would throw money at me.

Something Positive

Rick

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Andy

Hello Beamers

A short feedback on my experience.
I finaly ordered two of these outrigger boxes at Rob Martel. After little more than four weeks I had them on my doorstep (in Switzerland). Thats all I whanted, at a reasonable price and delivery time. Another positive feedback.

Rob, thanks a lot.
Andy

caribbeantom

Donation Time
Body Panels

I skipped the Martel option and went to Brian Postle at Sunbeam Spares in England. I ordered my panels and received them within 4 days the first time and 3 days the second time. He shipped via DHL and I received panels from England in lightning-quick time. Why wait months for an email reply and hope that you get a part within 6-12 months? The body shop was impressed with the quality of the panels and how fast I was able to receive them. The total cost, including shipping and currency conversion, was no higher than VB. http://www.thesunbeamsparescompany.co.uk/ The body shop I am using has been doing classics for 30 years and he has a Jaguar that was accepted in the Museum of Modern Art. The same guy has done Tigers in the past and should be a reliable reference.
Tom