• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Manifold gaskets series 111 Alpine

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
:confused:I have just received the manifold gaskets for my series 111 Alpine. The books all show two gaskets but do not tell you which goes where. To explain, one gasket is fibre and the other is metal. So the question is, does the metal one go against the block or the manifold? I tried using the one fibre gasket only before but got a leak on the exhaust manifold. I guess this is why they put two?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Fiber on inside (next to the block); Metal on outside, with dimples out facing the intake manifold.

agmason54

Donation Time
manifold gaskets

Yo beamers
I throw the tin gasket away and use Indian Head against the head and silcone on the intake.To me tin gasket is a pontenial place to suck air.I use 'cone'on the intake manifold so the it can be removed and replaced while leaving the gasket alone and ready to reuse.Some may disagree but my intake manifold has been off 3 times in ten years re-using the same gasket.
Agm&WarPony
at large out west...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yo beamers
I throw the tin gasket away and use Indian Head against the head and silcone on the intake.To me tin gasket is a pontenial place to suck air.I use 'cone'on the intake manifold so the it can be removed and replaced while leaving the gasket alone and ready to reuse.Some may disagree but my intake manifold has been off 3 times in ten years re-using the same gasket.
Agm&WarPony
at large out west...

Well I keep the tin gasket, to me its the key to reusability.

I silicone both sides of the asbestos gasket, this makes the gasket seal very well to the head and the metal sheet.

Since the metal sheet is installed with dimples facing out, I then put a dab of silicone ONLY around the dimples to the intake.

This makes the good seal where it needs it, but doesnt put so much silicone on the sheet so that when you pry the intake off, it pulls the sheet from the gasket, or the gasket off the head.

This counts on the sheer surface area of the silicone on the gasket to prevent it from tearing loose on future removal.

I tear my intake off fairly often, and Ive had the same gasket and metal piece on the engine for over 10 years. This with probably 5 removals.

I may one day make a sheet spacer with o-rings in it to be done with the gaskets forever. The only thing keeping me from doing it is what to do with the exhaust side of the equation.

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
Manifold gaskets

Well thanks for the various bits of advise. This is what I decided to do. I installed fibre gasket to block and tin gasket to manifold, dimples facing fibre gasket. We only get RTV gasket maker in Zimbabwe so I plastered that on all sides. Would love to know where to get copper spray, nobody heard of it here? Kept the rings in (not sure why) also smeared with RTV. I will test drive tomorrow (Saturday) and report back.:rolleyes:

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
I test ran the car as advised and she runs well. Since then I have been told by a local "expert" that I should have put the tin gasket to the block and that the RTV gasket maker may not last as the heat on the block is higher than the rated RTV. Pity Rootes doesn't tell us?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, if they were installed the way Rootes engineers designed them, NO RTV (or any gasket sealer) is required, and the intake manifold could be removed/installed many times over than doing it your way.
Jan