• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Machine Shop Baltimore / DC region

1980e12mpl

Donation Time
Looking for a recommendation for a Machine Shop in the Baltimore / DC region to work on the head from a Series V.

I am posting this in the "factory original" and "modified" forums as well. If cross-posting is a no-no around here. somebody please tell me. If it is, I apologize in advance.

Thanks.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Cross posting is not quite a "no no " here, but cross posts are not really needed. The Factory Original forum is really for quite specific questions and discussions about trying to keep an Alpine as close as possible to the original Factory configuration, using as nearly original components as possible. No need or benefit to post a general question about Alpine repair and service there. Unless, of course, you were looking for a machine shop that was still using 1960's tools for some greater level of "authentic" machining. :D But then, once machined outside the factory, it's no longer "Factory Original" is it? ;)

Most general questions are appropriate to the "Stock" forum. There you will find discussions about general repairs, fixes, Carb changes, tranny upgrades, electrical upgrades, improvements, etc.

"Modified" forum is generally for people who change engines, V6, V8, rotary, Ford 4 cyl, etc, but you'll also find tranny swaps, carb swaps, etc. So just post once, that's enough!

And if you are looking for parts, use the Parts Wanted forum

Tom

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I don't know of any machine shops, per se, but I know a little repair shop, in Laurel, that the owner is "into" these LBC's and he may be able to steer you to a good machinist. The shop is R.A.C.Engines, the owners name is Clay and the shop # is 301 776 4272. He's been a great help to me.
Good luck
Ron
BTW welcome to the group

1980e12mpl

Donation Time
I don't know of any machine shops, per se, but I know a little repair shop, in Laurel, that the owner is "into" these LBC's and he may be able to steer you to a good machinist. The shop is R.A.C.Engines, the owners name is Clay and the shop # is 301 776 4272. He's been a great help to me.
Good luck
Ron
BTW welcome to the group

Thanks a ton Ron. Talked to clay. Super helpful.
By the way - this what I am dealing with.

Attachments

• head remove with drawing(54).JPG
    head remove with drawing(54).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 44

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thanks a ton Ron. Talked to clay. Super helpful.
By the way - this what I am dealing with.

Your picture doesnt show the heads "wear bars" but unless the head is next to virgin, I wouldnt spend the cash on whats ahead for you.

A far better head can be bought for less than the welding and machining you are in for and unless the welder is top-notch, the repair wont hold anyhow.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
He means measure the depth of the semicircles at the top right and top left in the photo. That will tell you how much the head has been shaved.

Tom

1980e12mpl

Donation Time
I dropped it off at a local machinist. So no measurement at this time. Seems like he knows his stuff. I am sourcing a replacement at the moment. In a couple days I will know more.

I strongly believe that the car has 78,387 orig miles. From the original owner's records, I understand that the valves were re-ground at 29,364 miles on September 29, 1971 ($64.40). The head was re-torqued on April 17, 1972 at 30,752 miles. A valve job was done on April 30, 1980 at 45,903 miles ($303.42).

Subsequent to April 1980 no more valve/head work noted in the records - which continue until Oct 1999. The car was then purchased by a friend, who drove it, did very little outside having the radiator re-cored, and then parked it in 2003. The sitting from 2003 to present, is what, I imagine, took its toll in the corrosion department.

1980e12mpl

Donation Time
Update.
Purchased a used head from a member of this board. Waiting for machinist.

Starting cleaning parts today from head removal. Used an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight for the first time. Photos show the carb.

Attachments

• sv.jpg
    sv.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 20
  • sv carb4.jpg
    sv carb4.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 21
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 16
  • sv carb2.jpg
    sv carb2.jpg