• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

LT lead shorting out at Points

RootesRich

Donation Time
I'm stumped guys and need help (insert joke here :))

Driving home last weekend, my Pertronix powered ignition failed at a traffic light. No spark. Checked the Pertronix coil with my meter and it tested out ok. I pulled the Pertronix module out assuming it was bad and installed points to get the car started.

I cleaned the base of the dizzy, and installed the points with the plastic isolator at the bottom side of the points spring. I then put the eyelets of the condensor and LT lead through the upper plastic isolator (as per the WSM), installed it through the top of the points spring and cinched it down with the retaining nut.

With the points closed, the LT wire inside the dizzy smokes when the ignition is turned on. With the points open I have 12v at the LT eyelet and the spark between the points as they open.

For the life of me I can't figure out with the top and bottom of the points spring, condensor and LT wire eyelets all isolated with the plastic pieces where my dead short is.

I even tried a new Pertronix coil purchased from Rick a few months back and got the same results. Could I have two bad coils or am I missing something in the distributor?

BTW, as soon as I get the car running on points, I'm switching to the Crane optical system. This is my 2nd failure with Pertronix and I'm done with them.

Regards,

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Rich

Sorry to hear about the ignition challenge. Did you also isolate the connection using a small plastic isolator at the top of the post where the LT wire and condenser are attached? If not that would most likely be the place where things are grounding.

from sunny South Dakota

Paul A

RootesRich

Donation Time
Hi Rich

Sorry to hear about the ignition challenge. Did you also isolate the connection using a small plastic isolator at the top of the post where the LT wire and condenser are attached? If not that would most likely be the place where things are grounding.

from sunny South Dakota

Paul A

Yes. Eyelets are in contact with the points spring, but not the threaded post via the top plastic insulator. I've tried a couple of different sets of points and plastic isolators and I'm still shorting out with the ignition on and points closed.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I assume you have the LT lead coming from the - term of the coil and the Ignition wire connected to the + term ?

And the LT lead is pretty complete , not just a few strands?

From what you describe, it sounds like the points are wired correctly. But either the LT lead is too thin to handle the normal current or the coil (and ballast?) are shorted, causing too much current to flow.
You say something is "shorting out". But understand that with the ignition on and the points closed , you should have nearly a "short" . With points closed there's nothing between the battery and the ground except the coil and ballast - only a few ohms .

Tom

RootesRich

Donation Time
Tom, I think you nailed it. Thanks!

The beauty of the boss being out of the office today is I have the dizzy sitting on my desk. Sure enough with the cloth casing pulled back, the LT wire inside the dizzy is frayed quite a bit. I'm sure you're correct when you stated the LT lead is too thin to handle the current.

The other beauty of the boss being away is I can slip out the back door and get home early to replace the bad LT wire! :)

Thanks again!

RootesRich

Donation Time
Be sure to cancel the order with Crane. :p

Haven't placed the order yet, probably will in the coming weeks. I've got no issues with those that chose to run points, but I like a bit more modern ignition and after two modular failures, I refuse to buy Pertronix again. The Crane kit is very highly rated.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Rich,
Are you sure the module failed? Or was it unable to tell the coil to produce a spark due to the wire issue? Not that I'm against the Crane, but it might be interesting to know how sensitive the Pertronix is to that particular issue...

RootesRich

Donation Time
Rich,
Are you sure the module failed? Or was it unable to tell the coil to produce a spark due to the wire issue? Not that I'm against the Crane, but it might be interesting to know how sensitive the Pertronix is to that particular issue...

Hi Ken,
The module is dead. This is the 2nd one that's failed on me.
When running the Pertronix setup, the small section of LT wire I had issues with is removed along with the points. The Pertronix module comes integrated with + and - wires run straight to the coil.