• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lowest of the low !

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hi, Tom. Strasburg is about an hour's drive from me, right in the middle of the Pennsylvania Dutch Country (if you saw the Harrison Ford movie Witness, it was filmed in the same area).

That said, I have to admit that I HATE Lionel trains, and always have. I am a model train buff, and have an extensive HO layout in my basement, featuring both US and British engines and rolling stock (the British 00 Gauge is the same as the US HO), with wireless remote control. IMHO, a model train should look like a real one. The Lionel layouts with the third rail in the middle look phoney, and many of the classic trains that people rave about and spend ludicrous money on at sales don't look a bit authentic. And the bent tin models from the 1920s and 1930s, with paint missing, that go for thousands and thousands, because the are "rare" make me want to heave.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

P.S. The reason for the third rail was to allow trains to operate in different directions on the same track, which you couldn't do with the conventional 2-rail system where one is + and the other -. Remote control, with a module in each loco, eliminates that. You can operate more than one train on the same length of 2-rail track, and even in opposite directions. Instead of varying the track voltage, as in the old days, the track remains at a constant 12v, and each loco picks up what it needs according to what is demanded by the remote control for that loco.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, the second attempt at e-mail bounced back again and this time when I tried to PM you, THAT bounced back with this message:

"Nickodell has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

Tom

(my apoligies to others for clogging up the forum, but as you can see, this is the only place Nick and I seem able to connect)

Tom H

John Boggis

Donation Time
The new lowest of the low !

Seems like the 1960 series 1 holds the record for lowest of the low at 5500miles !!

Ebay Item 150249054822 or see ebay discoveries on the forum.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
And you can see the condition of it. That car, while intact and most probably correct in all details, is a car that has not reached it's fulfillment. I know that it would take quite a lot of work to put that Alpine in condition to be a reliable driver, and it probably still wouldn't win anything at a show. While we all love and restore and maintain our cars, we drive them. And that's what it's really all about. To have a 40+ year old car that hasn't been used and enjoyed is not what they were produced to do. IMHO, a car is a machine designed for a purpose, and the Alpines purpose is to drive and give pride and a scence of accomplishment to those that drive and maintain and restore them.
Cheers!
Steve

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Although not an Alpine, I have '65 Mustang (289 4V, 4-speed coupe) that I bought 13 years ago. The car is driven nearly every day. I currently drive it 70 miles each day to work and back. As the car was 30 years old when I bought it, I couldn't tell you if the odometer was on its first or second 100,000 miles. I've put over 100,000 on it since I've had it. It is possible that there is 375,000 miles on it. It needs painting and interior work, but I get more comments and compliments on it because it's driven car and not a show piece treated as a rare jewel or trailer queen. It is used for what it was intended for, driving pleasure.