• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lower front ride height

Jondjohn

Donation Time
I just purchased this Series II Alpine and would like to lower the front by 2.5 inches. I read the threads about removing the bumper and cutting the springs but prefer to either add dropped spindles or buy a set of lowering springs. I understand that Dales sells a set of lowering springs for tigers but probably wouldn’t help my Alpine. I’ve also called Eaton springs and they don’t have them either...any other sources for lowering springs or a set of dropped spindles? Thanks, JD

Attachments

• AE57DDBE-C212-4381-8510-F71F8C8DF951.jpeg
    AE57DDBE-C212-4381-8510-F71F8C8DF951.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 8BA9B166-D484-4177-A5CD-0755315AEE68.jpeg
    8BA9B166-D484-4177-A5CD-0755315AEE68.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 27

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
JD,

Using "drop spindles" is the right way to lower the front of an Alpine. According to WSM-124, the S-II only has 2.12" of suspension compression ("bump") at normal ride height and using shorter front springs reduces the available compression travel. Lowering your S-II front end by 2.5" would put you on the bump stops with no remaining compression travel.

You may get replies claiming to have lowered the front end with shorter springs and not reducing the compression travel, but I do not see how that is possible without significant changes to the front suspension package.

The appropriate drop spindles exist (unicorn status), but they are rare and only fit the later "ball joint" style front suspension. At the very least, you would have to change to the later style upper and lower A-arms (with conventional ball joints) to use a "ball joint" spindle. It might be easier to use a complete front suspension assembly from a later series "ball joint" Alpine.

The attached picture shows a "ball joint" Alpine spindle and a late ('65 & up ???) model Hillman Minx spindle. Can't remember where the picture came from, but I have had it for several years. Anecdotal information indicates that the "drop" is somewhere between 1" and 2".

index.php

HTH

Last edited:

Jondjohn

Donation Time
These two cars have the “correct” ride height that I’m looking for.

Attachments

• 026FC61B-9CCD-4F2A-BD39-F2F46FB6722D.jpeg
    026FC61B-9CCD-4F2A-BD39-F2F46FB6722D.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 3E9DCA39-0C41-49E3-A224-DBD7D45A0747.jpeg
    3E9DCA39-0C41-49E3-A224-DBD7D45A0747.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 50

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The green / black car is a Mk-II Tiger (another unicorn) with the later "ball joint" front suspension.

The white car has big fins, so it would have originally had the older "king pin" front suspension; no idea how the lower front stance was achieved. I think that car is a highly modified S-II that belongs to member Toyanvil. He may respond in this thread or you could try sending a Private Message and ask how the lower front stance was achieved.

One thing to remember is that Series Alpines and Tigers originally had small (<23" diameter) tires; both of the cars you noted have aftermarket wheels and the tires may be significantly larger than stock. Larger diameter tires reduce the tire-to-fender gap.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Eaton springs and they don’t have them either...

I ordered a set of springs for my '67 SV Alpine powered by a FORD V6 from Eaton Detroit Spring, Detroit Mich.... They were "not-in-stock" but fab'd to my specifications. Don't know why you were told they did not have them ? Maybe they did not have them in stock like they told me.... BUT they could fabricate them?

alpine_64

Donation Time
What rate spring will you be using? What shocks are you running will you be using.

The 2 sample cars you show are running very different ride heights. The mkii tiger is sitting very low at the front.

Toyanvils white sii is lowered but has a much more streetable height and probably better ride

As bill mentioned you need to consider your wheel tyre combo. It appears you have 15" wheels... If your lower front valence isnt trimmed the leading edge of the tyres may try and take a nibble.

My tiger runs dales lowered springs and spax adjustable gas shocks... Car is a veey form ride. I have 195/60/14s and a trimmed valence and i still get occasional rub on lock

Attachments

• user43_pic513_1461500637.jpg
    user43_pic513_1461500637.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0595.jpg
    DSC_0595.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 24

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
When I did mine, I just cut the front springs a 1/4 turn at a time. Mine is also a series 2 with king pin front end, so it was easy to cut a little and re-install them and check it. I just keep cutting and checking until it sat the way I wanted. I have 2 1/4 inch from tire to fender lip and 3/4 inch in the rear. I used a cut off wheel in my grinder, the trick is to keep the heat down. In the back, I had new springs made to Tiger rate and a little lower. I am also running 15x6 with 185/55-15 in front and 15x7 with 205/50-15 in the rear both are 23" tall. I like the way my car rides and handles. At one time it was 1/2" lower and the ride was to hard for me. I am running Mazda running gear which is lighter then stock Sunbeam.
IMG_3721-L.jpg

Jondjohn

Donation Time
Eaton told me they didn’t have the “mandrills” for sunbeam springs. Said they have a lot of sunbeam owners call but that they didn’t have the capability to make them.
Guess I got the wrong person on the phone.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jon, I dealt with Mike

His contact info: mike@eatonsprings..com
1-313-963-3839

He told me they did not have the specs for the Sunbeam Alpine so I sent one of mine from a SV.

You might refresh His memory by mentioning He built a set of springs for Dan Richardson's SV Alpine.

Let me know how you make out.

Jondjohn

Donation Time
Jon, I dealt with Mike

His contact info: mike@eatonsprings..com
1-313-963-3839

He told me they did not have the specs for the Sunbeam Alpine so I sent one of mine from a SV.

You might refresh His memory by mentioning He built a set of springs for Dan Richardson's SV Alpine.

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the info but I already ordered a set from Coil Spring Specialties. JD

Ratical

Donation Time
I used coil spring Specialties recently for another project (2018 Acura RDX) no aftermarket support. They purchased new coils from Acura measured them. Size and rates. And built to my spec a set drop springs. 2.25 front 1.75 rear. Keeping the original ride quality.
I am sure Eaton quality is just as good, I just wanted to share my good experience with CSS.