• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Love This!

65beam

Donation Time
this

he drove this car to the TE/AE united at the indy speedway in 1985. it seemed there was always a bunch of people around it. with the meet being held in october the weather was cool and i remember him wearing a long scarf around his neck and it flowed behind him when driving. if i remember right the tonneau is made of aluminum. i'm not sure it has a top. he also had it at suni 1 in 1989. i have a lot of photos taken at both meets. it looks like it has lasted pretty good.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow! Thanks for posting this. Bob and I had just talked about this car a few weeks ago wondering if it were still around. He was so short of $$$ at the Indy United that he was going to camp out in the bushes outside the hotel until someone found out about it and offered him space in a room they had. I have been to many events since then and never saw this Alpine again. I do like that alloy tonneau and all the features of the car including the faded paint....Eric

RootesRooter

Donation Time
he drove this car to the TE/AE united at the indy speedway in 1985. it seemed there was always a bunch of people around it. with the meet being held in october the weather was cool and i remember him wearing a long scarf around his neck and it flowed behind him when driving. if i remember right the tonneau is made of aluminum. i'm not sure it has a top. he also had it at suni 1 in 1989. i have a lot of photos taken at both meets. it looks like it has lasted pretty good.

Could you post of this car at SUNI I? I don't know why I don't remember it there. Seems like a Sunbeam that exotic would've been featured in the official video they made.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Gee I was at suni 1.Where was I as I don't really remember the car but the revolving license plate thing I seem to remember.

How many remember some of the things that happened 27 years ago?

65beam

Donation Time
love this

i seem to remember something that happened to a guy from canada. i also remember the cars from the UK and also a friend from w va that pitched his tent on the roof of his roll back truck that he hauled his tiger on.i remember walking up those so and so hills to get from point A to point B in the high temps. it was hot!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I remember there was a good turnout of Alpines at SUNI I, including my own, but I don't remember any standouts among them in terms of rarity or unusual mods. The oddities still stick out in my mind: the two Harrington-style rebodied Tigers from the UK, the factory diesel-powered SuperMinx, Rick McCleod's Mk II prototype, the unrestored Hollywood Sports Tiger (along with Doanne Spencer), plus Tiger Tom's rotary-powered Alpine GT fastback - clad with factory option LAT 70's! Too bad it didn't survive the trip home...

65beam

Donation Time
love this

the roto rooter did survive. it has had a rear clip installed and has not been finished. it resides somewhere in the w va panhandle . another member and i were at TT's a few weeks ago and we were talking about it.

65beam

Donation Time
love this

dick,
wasn't it SUNI 1 that the young guy showed up with the early alpine that had all the usual chrome pieces including the wire wheels gold plated as his high school project? i ran the bond car video again and he does have a SUNI 1 badge bar on the car. i did find the photos from indy and the car had red racing stripes on the right side at that time.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
dick,
wasn't it SUNI 1 that the young guy showed up with the early alpine that had all the usual chrome pieces including the wire wheels gold plated as his high school project? i ran the bond car video again and he does have a SUNI 1 badge bar on the car. i did find the photos from indy and the car had red racing stripes on the right side at that time.

Troy Cooper owned it at the time. (His father owned a plating shop up in B.C.) Troy sold it long ago, I believe to somebody in California.

65beam

Donation Time
love this

i have photos taken at indy of another alpine i have never seen since. it had 1959 cadillac rear fins and tail lights on it.