• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Loss of Power/Stuttering Under Load

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
So after I got the clutch hydraulics sorted out I took my SeriesV out for a test drive. For the first 15 minutes the car was running fairly well with a little hesitation when cruising. Suddenly the car started loosing power and began skipping with my foot on the gas. When I back off the gas it runs fine, but when the gas pedal is re-applied it looses power and skips. I limped the car back to my garage, kept the car in idle(running fine) and opened the hood and pushed the throttle linkage in and out experiencing good engine acceleration(obviously no load on the engine). I'm not sure if the issue is electrical or fuel related. Does anyone have any thoughts? P.S. timing checks out ok at idle and carbs have been overhauled, balanced, and adjusted.
Alpiner

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Its usually a silly little thing so I would first make sure the rotor is secure on the distributor shaft, all the plug wires are firmly in place, and the distributor cap is clamped down. If that doesn't fix anything move to fuel. Any black flakes of paint visible in the pump bowl? If you have an inline fuel filter when was the last time you replaced it?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
In addition to the idle timing, you should verify the centrifugal and vacuum advance timing. The WSM details the process.

Once the engine fully cools down, does the problem remain when the engine is cold, or does the problem reappear only when fully warmed up again?

Mike

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Pump and fuel system capacity should not be overlookeed.

Also low dwell (excessive points gap if applicable) will cause misfire under load.

Too little points gap can cause weak spark at higher RPMs.

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks guys for the advise. I'll start the troubleshooting and report out findings. In the meantime I've ordered the Petronix Distributor Package from VB. I've always wanted to replace the old distributor, points, and capacitor.
Alpiner