• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for parts contacts

mini cuda

Donation Time
Hello all, I am looking for parts for my Sunbeam, 1970 GT. Interior hood release cable (it says bonnet on it), hood badge just to name a couple of things. If any one has web site information, I would appreciate it!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
IF still there you might lucky.

A 1969 Sunbeam Car was listed For Sale in Charleston, SC Phone:843-835-5504 probably a year or more. I looked at it but was not convinced to buy!

Wish you well on your hunt.....

65beam

Donation Time
contacts

hood release cables without the T handle broken are very rare. all five of my cars had them broken. when i restored my white GT i had a locking cable unit for the front trunk lid of an imp. the T handle is probably twice as heavy as the one on the GT. it also gives me the option to lock the hood release from inside the car. i was able to source an original cable in the U.K. a few years back via ebay but have not seen any for awhile. the only sunbeam parts supplier in the states that had any stock for these cars was tiger tom and he went of business several years ago. the wife bought everything he had for the fastbacks so we have quite a stock of parts specific for these cars including glass . if you e mail me what you're looking for i will check to see if we have extras she would be willing to sell. i know that she won't sell things such as the badges or rubber parts but we have a lot of other items.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Locking bonnet release cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hillman-I...hicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccef1ea91&_uhb=1

Or

This is the proper one for your Alpine, a wee bit expensive for an old used one I think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-Humb...hicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d02cb7fbe&_uhb=1

No affiliation

I have several used Sunbeam, Hillman Imp & Hunter ones back in Scotland, I won't be there again 'till the summer though. Let me know what other parts you are looking for, I may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

I don't remember seeing a broken bonnet release handle on any of the 20+ Rootesmobiles we've had; maybe something to do with the warmer climate in Scotland

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
contacts

i have at least six hood pulls hanging in the parts building from alpines that have one side of the T handle broken. all five of my fastbacks had broken T handles. i think the location of the pull handle on the fastbacks contributes to the breaking on cars here. i know in my younger days i reached over from the left side to pull the handle. it broke off on me one day while doing that. maybe the summer heat here has something to do with the breaking.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Mystery solved then! I've never had to reach over for the bonnet release handle as it's rarely more than 12" from my right knee :)

65beam

Donation Time
contacts

that means that the release handle on an alpine would be close to your left arm.

65beam

Donation Time
contacts

it's on the right because they were brit built cars and they would have been RHD cars. if you look at the hood latch on the front panel you will see that it would have required a different body panel and a different latch. it was more cost effective to leave it on the right side rather than add additional parts.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Mini-Cuda, that's why I have a supply of undamaged ones back home in Scotland - our cars have the bonnet release and the steering wheel on the same side :)

mini cuda

Donation Time
Well it does make sense. I have quite a bit to learn about this car. If you have one available, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to purchase one. If you have any extra bonnet badges at home I need that as well.(Might as well throw that in there too!)

whiterhino

Donation Time
1960 Red Sunbeam Alpine Convertable

I have a 1960 Red Sunbeam Alpine Convertable for sell. Has a rebuilt
engine with only 22000 miles. Outside the body is good no rust. Interior
looks good. Just put a new windshield on have over $7000 into it and
would like to sell it for $5000, don't have time for it anymore. Needs
someones love. Can e mail me at rkggmille@hotmail.com or call 949-770-2543.
The car is in Orange county California

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
I don't want anything for it but the postage, you'll have to wait 'till the summer before I can get it to you though. Ill see if i have a bonnet badge too. Not everyone appreciates these old busses, I'm happy to be of assistance to someone who does.

mini cuda

Donation Time
H one, I do appreciate it. The GT was my Grandfathers. I wanted this car since I was 14. Now that I have it, I want to keep it original. Waiting is no Problem, I have quite a few things to start working on. The tires are 42 now and they don't hold air very well. Time to replace!

kwhite

Donation Time
So sorry we did not cross paths sooner. I sold a pristine T assembly to a person via ebay last year who sent negative ratings because of minor surface rust at release end on a 45 year old part. Good on you Man! My first was an easy resto on my Grandfather's pristine 1936 Ford. Enjoy every moment of frustration and elation!