• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for distributor

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, guys:

I had posted earlier about needing a tach drive gear off of an early Alpine distributor with a mechanical tach. It's been suggested to me that I might have better luck trying to find a complete distributor rather than just the gear. Does anyone out there have a distributor with a tach drive gear for an early Alpine that they would like to part with? My car is sitting "tachless" in my buddy's shop and, at this point, it's either fix it or get it out of his way. Personally, I'd rather fix it so if anybody can help me out, I'd be mighty grateful!

Thanks,

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
distributor

Hi Andy, I know I've got a box of distributors and various distributor parts.
Let me know what you need & I'll have a look for you.
Cheers!
Steve

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Thanks for the quick reply, Steve! What I'm really needing is the tach drive gear located on the bottom of the distributor shaft just above the two-toothed drive dog that fits into the oil pump. My distributor does not have the drive gear and, thus, won't turn the tach drive cable. I don't know what other pieces go with that gear (if any) so, consequently, I'm willing to spring for an entire distributor if that's what it takes to get the gear. Please check your stash as soon as possible as I'm in a bit of a time crunch to get the car running (this problem was completely overlooked and unexpected...and totally my fault for not realizing it was missing in the first place...).

Thanks a million,

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
distributor

Andy,
I know I have the drive gear. I have a few of the older distributors around. I have one in my S4, that I removed the gear from as I hooked up an electric one. That gear is somewhere in my stash. I'll look around & see what I've got. I'll email you some pictures when I find one.
Cheers!
Steve

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
That's great, Steve!! Thanks so much for looking into this. You obviously have had some experience with this and, in light of that, I've got another question. On the distributors with the tach drive gear, is the oil pump drive dog built onto the gear or is it a separate piece? In other words, if you have just the gear, am I going to be able to sandwich it between my drive dog and the distributor body, pin it in and go? It seems to me that there would be other pieces that may have to go with the gear for it to work. Am I right on that? If so, I guess I'll be needing them, too.

Is there anything else that you can think of that would cause me problems when switching over to a drive-gear set up?

Once again, thanks a million,

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Distributor

Andy, It's been a while & the "Beams" have been sleeping in the garage since early November, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I'm assuming that you have the original distributor that has the tube, for lack of better term, that the gear goes into. As far as the oil pump drive dog, that's on the end of the distributor that fits with the top of the pump. The tach drive runs off the side of that gear. Again I'm going off fuzzy memory. I'll find a distributor & gear tonight & send you some pictures. Hopefully the pics will explain better that I can!
Cheers!
Steve